Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Help for a newbie

Charlieamanda

Enthusiast
Have had my 4gtl for 4 months but now it needs towing to garage as the fan has packed in. Please where do I attach the tow rope to?

Towing

May be a silly question but why does it need towing just because the fan has packed in, everything else will still work and if its the same belt as the alternator belt then just fully charge the battery and drive it when you dont need lights or anything which uses a lot of electricity.

If it's a GTL it has an electric fan. If the garage isn't far away then you can drive it. However, it may just be the sender contacts dirty - just pull off the two wires from the sender and hold them together with the ignition on (keep your fingers away from the fan). If the fan works then it's either a faulty sender or dirty contacts.
In this weather the fan will take ages to come on anyway so bear this in mind. If your heater is not working well then it would be the thermostat and this would affect the operation of the fan.

Thank you for the help, will drive to the garage tomorrow.The top hose blew before Christmas which I have replaced but just a bit nervous ( you may have gathered I'm no mechanic!)

If the top hose blew it is possible that you also have a head gasket problem (GTLs are prone to this because the cylinder head studs on the 1108cc engine are a bit on the short/inadequate side).

thanks from a newbie

thank you to all. safely drove to garage. nothing wrong with the fan except the weather, and the mechanic approved our hose repair, might move on to something a bit more technical next! Passed MOT with flying colours so guess I've got 12 months of annoying questions for you ahead, need a few spare parts so I'll start getting a list together.thankyou

There is a simple test/ bypass for the fan. Take a piece of wire of a good 3" and 2 male connectors. The wire should have the same thickness as the wires going to the thermo-switch on the radiator. Colour really isn't important, the 2 male 6mm ( 1/4 " ) connectors are.
Crimp the 2 connectors on to the ends of the wire and presto you have 1 test wire. Pull the leads off the thermo-switch on the radiator and connect the test wire to these 2 wires. If your thermo-switch is dead the fan will start working when switching on the power. ( 2 small twists of the key.) If the fan is the problem you will notice it is either not working or is making very few revolutions.

Back