Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Help with water pump please

woody

Enthusiast
Hi everybody, I've just spent a whole day reading through the forums, as I'm new to the site. What a great find this site!!!!!
I own 'Vicky' a 1990 R4 gtl clan, and am having some trouble with her water pump me thinks. The fan belt keeps wearing out very quickly and i have just renewed it for the third time in two months. Now I'm getting a very high sqeeking noise ( very embarrasing at local super U) and suspect the water pump is on the way out. Is there any repair stratagy for this or is it a replacement pump!!! Any comments greatfully received. Again greetings to all, great site.

..What fun...

..To have another R4 nut in the Vendee - Sorry to say I cant help you with your waterpump problem except to say that mine broke recently as my alternator was loose (?) and but where are you Woody - we may be neighbours?

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be that the pump bearing has partially seized. When you have replaced the belt have you checked this by turning the pulley? If it is seized then a new pump is the answer.
It is quite rare for this to happen as normally the first sign of a pump going wrong is a water leak from the gland. It's not a difficult job to do as long as the water pump to head bolts are not seized.

Thanks for comments steve, There are no signs of water leaks and when I changed the belt the water pump pulley turned quite freely. Also because the belt keeps self distructing I removed the adjusting pully and gave it a good clean and regreased the ball race. Me thinks a new water pump is the solution if pump servicing is out of the question.
Ian I live near La Chataigneraie on the eastern border of the Vendee, so are we neighbours?.
Anyone out there knows of a replacement pump for the 688 D 7/12 engine???

Is the squeaking noise just when you rev the engine or all the time? If it's all the time that tensioner could be on it's way out. Or the water pump or alternator - you can take a long screwdriver and press the sharp end to the engine near the part you want to listen to and press your ear against the other end. The bearings in the tensioner are standard size if you can find a bearing shop.

Rust on the pulleys can cause trouble if the car hasn't run for a couple of years.

If it's just when you rev the engine it's probably a slack belt. The R4 should be fitted with a V profile belt that is tall and solid. Most belts available now are toothed which don't last quite so long and need adjusting soon after they are fitted. They are generally OK after the first adjustment.

..La Chataigneraie..

Rings a bell.....Are you Peter Woodman per chance as if you are, we may well have met - We have an old water mill between Mareuil and Moutiers and while ago we needed a bit of landscape gardening.. does that ring a bell or am I on completely the wrong track?

Malcolm thanks, I haddn't thought about the replacement belt, now you mention it, the original belt was solid and the self destructing replacements have all been toothed. The adjustment pulley seems to be ok but I was somewhat surprised to observe that it didn't appear to have its full quota of ball bearings. I just put this down to quirky French engineering!! but I have not got anthing to compare it with so I didnot think it would affect too much. I will try the srewdriver trick tomorrow to see if I can track down source of loud squeel , Its there most of the time and quite allarming at high revs!!

Ian the short answer is no. My name is Steve, I'm using the name Woody because many people refer to me as such, because I am a Cabinet Maker by Trade. ( Ebiniste en France!!)

..Brillant..

..Very nice to know that I am on the wrong track Steve but as we know, everyone needs an Cabinet Maker so stand by and wait for our orders to pour in!!

Anyway nice to make your acquaintance Steve and I was so thrilled to see your thread from La Vendee - Gods own country

You wont know Malcolm by sight but he and some family / friends were lucky enough to be present at the release of the 1,000,000 Renault 4 back in 19?? - He is one of the seven hugely intelligent looking chaps / chapesses on the left of the car!!

Could well be that tensioner - they are bad for making screeching noises. If it sticks occasionally due to not enough bearings that would take it out of the belt.

My own is rough but I gave my last decent one away to the forum member formerly known as kangaroo chris. If that is the trouble and you find the replacement bearing number do post it on here.

Last edited:
Today I witnessed a miracle!!!!

An update for all you helpfull chaps.
Today after being self convinced that I needed a new waterpump I drove "Vicky" to the local French village motor garage to enquire if they could locate, for me, a new pump.
It was ofcause a friday afternoon and the custom here is for all the old boys to meet up somewhere, today it must of been the garage. Because as I drove "Vicky" in, with accompanyment of HIGH PITCHED SQUEELING you can immagine my embarrasment to be surrounded by all smilling knowlegable old boys starting to veiw the car with some affection.
"You have a problem Monsieur?" Yes I was sorry I need a new waterpump, in my best schoolboy French. Lots of conversation between the old boys, then the mechanic asked me to "ouvrir la capot" Duly done the mechanic looked under the bonnet, fiddled a bit, looked at me and said "No No Monsieur le problem typic with the quatrelle"
Within three minutes, he collected his tool trolly, tightened the belt on the alternater, fiddled again and Heigh Presto the engine was back to its old self!!!!! A MIRACLE !! The squeeking all gone.
I was informed that it was most imprortant to keep both belt tensions as tight as possible to even the loads on the water pump spindle. well I think that was what he was trying to tell me, my French is not that good.
I left the garage, beeming and drove Vicky home again, smilling all the way.
Hope you liked the story chaps, thanks again for your input.

..So I was correct..

..'twas the alternator being too loose - I am so clever!!

Here is another pic for you all - Nicholas Sarkozys' parents, who are our neighbours and who drive a............................R4!!

How about some pics of your woodwork, Woody - Do you have website?

Thanks also for your pm - Do pop in and say hello - he may remember us!!

Back