Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

HELP!!

renaultlove

Enthusiast
Hello R4 lovers. I bought my R4 1992 model in Portugal (Algarve) and drove it back to England via Spain and France. It (Ag08) had her Portuguese MOT in April 04 and had full service etc. She has been going strong ever since. HOWEVER I now need to re-register and yesterday she had her first English MOT and FAILED!!! Here we go:
1. The headlamps dip the wrong way so I either have to get a 'blanket'or change the whole headlamp??
2. I have to put side indicators on her
3. The foglight is on the wrong side (not a biggy)
and MOST SERIOUS
4. The back lower suspension joints must be replaced (either the joints or the whole arm whatever is easiest/cheapest.
5. The horn didn't work (probably a fuse....)
So now I have 10 days to sort out the parts eg suspension bits and headlight probs.
Can anyone suggest the best place for me to get the parts etc or should I go direct to Renault. Any advice help gratefully received!!!!

Welcome to the forum renaultlove. Where in Bedfordshire are you? I'm about 5 miles to the west of Bedford.

The headlamps are easy to convert. See http://www.renault4.co.uk/tech-headlamp-conversion.htm

Some of the later GTLs (1985 on) had indicator repeaters in the sides of the wings. You'll need to drill holes in the side of the wing to fit them then tap the wires into the indicator circuit. Maybe someone on the forum has a spare set - otherwise Renault for originals or Halfords for ones that would work.

Is it the front suspension lower arm rear joint that has failed?

First English MOT

Hello Clementine - wow how amazing I am in Central Bedford!! Thanks 4 coming back to me so quickly. R U the Clementine of this wonderful R4site? I am still exploring it but looks brilliant.

I have the failed MOT in front of me now, and it says:

07. Nearside front lower front suspension joint has excessive play in a lower suspension ball joint;
08. Offside front lower front suspension joint has excessive play in a lower suspension ball joint.

What do you think - the guy at the garage said I should try to get either the lower suspension ball joints x 2 or the complete arm assembly x 2 as it might be more costly/time consuming to fit the little bit rather than the whole thing..............

How mean is this - item 04 says windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid! I had filled the bottle, cleaned the holes and you pump from the floor with your foot and I thought it was great!
[/i]

Clementine is actually the cat at the top left of each page. I'm Malcolm, but I thought it would be more fun to post as the cat.

It's much easier to replace the balljoints than the suspension arm. Best place to buy balljoints would be Bedford Battery. Renault can also supply them (but they are more expensive). They crop up on eBay from time to time too. For info about replacing them: http://www.renault4.co.uk/tech-balljoint.htm

The washer fluid thing does seem mean. Maybe the nozzle under the screen is a bit blocked. Try blowing backwards through the little holes using an air gun to clear any blockage.

thanks 4 speedy reply. I better come clean - I am a bit of a pathetic girly in that I can do all the 'easy bits' on the car but the side indicators (OK I could drill through...) ball joints and prob headlamp filing would be a little beyond me. Can you recommend anyone that could do the job for a reasonable price...... and is not a cowboy in the Bedford area? I think I will try and do some sourcing this afternoon (Bedford Battery, Halfords etc

Hi thought I would give u an update. Been to a couple of garages and the car is currently being examined but the general opinion is that the whole front suspension arm on both sides should be replaced. Renault have a nearside in stock at £116.44 + VAT and an offside will have to be ordered from France which will take up to 5-10 days..... And then of course the labour costs on top - I will end up paying more for this than what I actually paid for my car. The ironic thing is that the car has given me no problems at all - always starting first time and since coming back from the Algarve I have driven to Wales too! OK it does creak when I go over speed bumps but that is it! Its probably cheaper for me to get an Easyjet flight and buy the parts in the Algarve and the labour costs are a quarter of what they r here.... MOAN MOAN MOAN - looks like I'll have to pay for a new MOT test as I have 10 days and counting no 9 days in which to represent. The thing is my car is important and it is essential that it is secure and legal and I will be driving to Dorset in February so need to get everything sorted.... c'est la vie!

I've never known of a R4 that needed the whole suspension arm replaced, let alone 2 of them. New joints should be about £15 each from motor factors, and fitting them is much quicker than fitting the whole arm.

Feel free to bring the car around here and I'll take a look. I've sent a private message with my phone number (click on "you have a new message" or "you have no messages" (depends on the mood the forum software is in) in the navigation links at the top to see the message).

I echo what Malcolm has said. I worked on R4's,5's and 6's for years and have NEVER needed to replace a suspension arm because the swivel joints had worn. Apart from the cost of the new arm, it's actually easier fitting the joints themselves.
The original ones were riveted at the factory so a sharp chisel, 10mmm and 17mm spanners and a heavy hammer will be the main tools needed. I'd personally go for th Renault joints myself as they appear better made than the pattern ones.

So, take it to him, ply him with rolling tobacco and alcohol :lol: and he'll sort you out.

Steve

Hi Guys - thanks for your positive info and YOU R EXACTLY RIGHT. After driving round like a mad woman I came up trumps 2day. I went 2 a garage (not sure whether it is pc to say name) that has been around for years (clue there r black and white photos in Cecil Higgins Museum) and I pass them regularly and had always noticed an abundance of classic cars on the forecourt. He (lovely man) is going to replace BALL JOINTS ONLY - from Renault and I think he said £15.00 each - so I am happy in fact v happy! He said he thought it would take about 1 1/2 hours and will also takle the other jobs (incl indicators on side). The only thing he cant get is the headlamps so I have printed out your info on adaptation and will show him tomorrow and see what he thinks.....!??

Is the requirement for side repeaters something new? I have two F6's (one of Spanish origin, imported about 1999) and neither have repeaters. This has not caused me any MOT problems. I had never even noticed until I recently got a pair of wings from Liam, and realised that they had little holes for them.

I'm still trying to think of something novel to blank the holes with!

Side repeators are required for post 1986 cars in the UK http://www.motuk.com/mot_manual/1-5.asp
You could plug the holes on an earlier car with side repeaters, but they have to work if you have them.

Good to know you've found a good mechanic renaultlove. Who is it?

Hello, I did not realise about the side indicators until this was mentioned as one of the reasons for the MOT failure. I was informed that new legislation now states that any car from (not sure whether it was 1986 - i'll have to check) must now have side repeater.....???? Even the Renault garage I visited was not sure about this and thought that if the car did not have any original holes then it should not be necessary and I should appeal. But its done now the holes are drilled and the tiny side repeater lights are in place. You can buy these very cheaply and most models will fit if you can find someone to link up the electrics - but I am not an expert just an enthusiast - I have owned 2 English R4s and now this Portuguese one. It is a workhorse and just keeps going and going.......

Hello Clementine - am I allowed to say -didn't u get my clues? I printed out your info on adapting the headlights and gave him that today - so hopefully he'll sort those - the car should be finished on Monday - HUGE bill - the RE-TEST - then insurance/tax/customs form/ down to DVLA for the big RE-REGISTER and then happy, safe driving OH WHAT JOY.......!!

I didn't get the clues. Would it help if I went to the Cecil Higgins Gallery and had a look around? I don't go into Bedford very often, and I'm an outsider - only been around here since 2002.

Can I have some more clues?

Back