Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

heres my project

MATTT

Enthusiast
not sure if im meant to post these in the gallery section or is this area ok?

bought locally its not turned a wheel in almost 10 yrs only had 2 owners

was fun being towed back with the brakes scraping away all the way home
luckily it was only 3 miles !

the rear cylinders ,shoes and brake lines have been replaced now and ive got some new tyres to go on after ive sorted out the wheels

bumpers have had it,ive started cleaning and rustproofing underneath
bonus thing is that it needs no welding underneath,theres one area on the inner wing to do and a few scabs on the panels, one wing needed
runs fine 50 k miles and ive changed the oil/filter and water, fan switch and just about to do the steering rack gaiters

next job is the clutch ! which ive bought but been putting off !

RENAULT4007.jpg

RENAULT4001.jpg

clutch is done !!
all treated with dinitrol underneath
done the top balljoint and rack gaitors
new wing fitted and ive got a new portamig on order to repair the small area on the drivers side inner wing
just got to find a rear foglight,ive got some good s/h bumpers im painting as the moment
2 new wheels fitted
1 painted and 1 to paint

next job is the bodywork for its respray :)
although i might try to polish a few areas up 1st and see how it goes

I hope that you will post pictures of your work! Sounds good :)

How are you painting (and rust-treating?) your wheels?

ive bought 1 new wheel and 1 new but had a few marks on it
ive rubbed down and painted the rusty 2 and blown over the new marked up one
have to see if the rust comes back through the old pair as ive put a few coats of red oxide primer and silver base and laquer on them
hopefully that will stop the rust for a while

so much for almost rust free! i took all the grey door tims off and found a hole in each door skin,must have been where it was up against the bushes that side

the bumpers are also painted ready to get back on,once ive sorted out the numerous parking dents and got the other wing back on,thats if it ever stops raining at weekends!

plus my portamigs just arrived so no excuses now :)

inner wings repaired and both wings back on now and seam sealed them up

cut out the 3 small rust patches on the 2 n/s doors and welded a new section in

still not found a mirror yet anyone have a GTL n/s one?

finishing off the trim strip out tomorrow morning as its going in for a full respray next week

its being done in 2 pack and they are taking the doors bonnet and boot off and doinf inside all the door shuts too

ive had 2 anglias done there so they do a good job!

was going to do it myself but been busy at work so not done much since b4 xmas really

cant believe its 5 months since the last update !

hi there
thanks, spoke to you b4 xmas about it sorry i didnt get back to you
i dont think i need the plate behind as i unscrewed the early type one so there must be a plate that it was fixed into
also need a front indicator lens and a set of chrome nuts and bolts for the bumpers

anyone need a early passenger side door mirror?

couple more pics
i forgot to take some more on saturday when it was completely stripped and its in the bodyshop now so the next ones should be with a fresh coat of paint :)

RENAULT4002.jpg

Started refitting it all this week

RENAULTANDCHALY001.jpg

still have to get a few little bits of trim sourced

managed to get a pair of new indicators and then find i had a useable spare set in the parts i was given with the car

anyone have a few spare grey plastic covers that hide the screws on the bottom of the grey plastic strips that fit on the bottom of the doors ?
i dont seem to have a full set

I have a set of covers but wouldnt fit them, they hold mud and rust the bottom of the doors, all the doors i have stripped with these on have been holed.
Allan

must admit the only rust on the whole of the car was under 2 of these on one side where it was parked up next to bushes and they had rilled up with mud

i was in 2 minds about refitting them as well but i wanted to keep the car looking original
as possible

ive got the trims but need a few of the small grey blanking plugs which hide the screws the trims themselves are ok

also found east kent trim supplies do the gutter strip and the window plastic/chrome rubber seal insert in case anyone needs them

off for the mot tomorrow at 12.30

1st one for almost 12 years !

fingers crossed i havent missed anything

i will post up some new pics soon,just put the last few bits of trim back on today
couple of small clips and stuff to order and a bit more seam sealing to do then its finally finished!

Good luck. The car looks wonderful - what a transformation. Do post up photos of the whole thing when it's done. Are you planning to come down to Kent on 3rd May for the R4 run?

hoping to yes
its still running rough though and stalling at the moment so im hoping to put a few miles on it and see if it is a non sealing valve hopefully

PASSED THE MOT :)

Heres 2 pics of it finally finished
theres a few more problems i found on the way though :(

REN4004.jpg

REN4003.jpg

Excellent! It's a stunning car, you must be pleased :)

What were the problems you came across?

its sitting down one side 10mm lower than the other,and it would be the drivers side thats lower! makes people think im 25stone :)
and the front brakes were just about ok on the rollers,although they are all new so they might need to be bedded in

Wonderful! I think you'll enjoy her...

Do you happen to know its colour code?

Back