Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

heres my project

Not all the time. The 1985 cars were originally sprayed with the body attached to the chassis. They sprayed over the blue inside the car, but the crossmember remained body colour.

Here's a photo of the lovely Bluebell, still looking immaculate in her original paint. Notice the crossmember.

bluebell.jpg

i think it was blue as the cars never been touched b4,apart from a rear wheelarch repair the paint was all original
im still tempted to fit a earlier grill and chrome bumpers and earlier wheels too

maybe i should have ground and fitted/removed the grey rubbing strips though or else it will look an odd mix maybe?

Not all the time. The 1985 cars were originally sprayed with the body attached to the chassis. They sprayed over the blue inside the car, but the crossmember remained body colour.

Here's a photo of the lovely Bluebell, still looking immaculate in her original paint. Notice the crossmember.

I remember reading in 'Album Renault 4' that Renault invested heavily in modernising the manufacturing process in one of their French factories, which was probably Île Seguin. This was in 1983 or 1984. Painting thereafter happened with the body attached to the chassis or something like that.

I wonder if this could be a way of figuring out whether a Renault 4 was built in Billancourt or not, I'd be interested to know where my one was built.

The only way to know is to obtain the "fiche d' usine". On some earlier cars, there is a letter on the paint code that shows where the car has been painted (and thus assembled, I suppose!).

Back