Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

How do I blacken my tyres?

mojobaby

Enthusiast
Just spent the past couple of days washing and polishing my cars. I usually wash my tyres and when they're dry, I spray on the stuff thats meant for car plastics, such as the dashboard and bumpers.

They look good for a short time and then go back to a dirty grey colour.

Has anyone got some tips on how to make them stay black for longer?

I'm currently doing a clean up as well, going to break out the polish tomorrow in fact :laughing:.

I think proper tyre blackener may be the best option, although I have heard about black shoe polish working if you apply multiple layers and then buff it off properly.

Also I've read somewhere that modern tyres excreet certain chemicals from the rubber compound when exposed to sunlight and consistant heat leaving a redy brown or greyish colour on the sidewall, So some greying or browning may be unavoidable.

A proper soap wash and drying to make the dye stick, then applying the blackener a few times should do the trick and last longer.

Thanks Jnr-, I've tried shoe polish before. It blackened quite well, but I couldn't get it to shine and pretty much used a whole tin on only one wheel.
i use WD40 on my window rubbers. I spray it onto a cloth and then wipe the rubbers. I tried it on the tyres but it attracted too much dust.

So I'll take your advice and get some proper tyre blackener when I eventually get to the shops. No idea when that will be! Still hoping to one day discover some magical home remedy:)

Tyre blacking paint (bull***t black) is horrible stuff - it comes off on paintwork and never looks natural. A dressing is better since it also allegedly nourishes the rubber. My favourite is Armorall Tire Foam. You was the car as normal, let most water drain off, spray in on the walls, and leave it for about an hour. It cleans, the dirt runs off and it leaves a lovely, black and sheened surface. It's great!

Thanks for the info, when the shops open again, I'll keep an eye open for either of those products.

I hate buying stuff "blind" as so many times they don't work as advertised on the label. Its another thing completely, buying stuff that people you know have tried and tested and approved. So thanks Eccles and Jnr:)

Auto Glym tyre Gel is fab but smells of strawberries! It’s bit pricey but well worth it and it lasts for ages

• 2257E037-92D7-4A90-9281-A7319C0341AA.jpeg
    2257E037-92D7-4A90-9281-A7319C0341AA.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1
Nice to know Lobster and thank you Jonathan for the recommendation. I think I like the idea of a wipe-on gel as opposed to a spray-on product.

Don't think that our auto shop stock it but I think they might have the Meguiars product as I recognise the name. I think they do car shampoos and polish as well.

Have to look on Amazon to check their prices.
I always think that a beautiful shiny car with dirty grey tyres is like a guy in a suit wearing running shoes. It just spoils the look.

Back