Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

How to remove the steering wheel?

Pavel

Enthusiast
Hi, I see, there is a never ending job in my R4. How can I remove the steering wheel? I have the latest model with the squared cross-piece. Can be the middle lid carefully breaked open, or must be removed some screws from the rear side? There are some holes from other side, but I can´t identify any screws in those holes.
Many thanks Pavel

Hello Pavel,

If i understand you, you want to remove the cover at the front side of steering wheel?

You don't need to unscrew. Becouse the cover has a hooks.

Hi, I see, there is a never ending job in my R4. How can I remove the steering wheel? I have the latest model with the squared cross-piece. Can be the middle lid carefully breaked open, or must be removed some screws from the rear side? There are some holes from other side, but I can´t identify any screws in those holes.
Many thanks Pavel

I want remove the steering wheel, but I can´t find any fastening system. I supposed there is needed to remove the cover as first - is it on hooks and can I unhitch with a tool? Or should I search some screws from other side? :confused:

Pavel first you need to unhook the hooks. There are two hooks.
For this you need a little screwdriver...
Don't worry, just take a force;)

When you will take down the cover, you will see a big female screw. You need a spanner (i think that size of spanner is 24??).

Where should I lever? On the top or on the bottom of the cover? I´m afraid.... :rolleyes:

You can pull the top of the cover with your fingers (the rear edge is quite sharp so careful) otherwise using a large flat tool. It takes a lot of force. First you will feel it move a little, then pull even harder and it will come off.

Without the cover there is a nut in the centre of the steering wheel. You'll need to undo this so the top of the nut is flush with the enf of the thread, then pull the steering wheel towards you and at the same time tap the centre of the shaft with a hammer. This should release the steering wheel from the tapered spline.

Hi, I mastered it, many thanks. I took a little bit courage and I used a brutal force. There is a nut 22 mm under the cover. :):)

Back