Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

how to wire tow bar?

51steve

Enthusiast
Hello Everyone,

Is there a manufacturer of a Renault 4L specific tow bar wiring harness? Or may I install a "universal kit", and if so, could someone tell me how they did it?

Thanks,

Steve

Best place to connect the wires is in the right back corner next to the hatch spring lever. You could connect to left and right lamps too but still you would have to connect fog light somewhere.

I have connected tow bar wiring to left and right rear light.
When you buy tow bar plug you should get instructions which connection on plug is for witch light. Follow that and would not be a problem.

You can see here how i did it.
http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-i-done-r4-gtl.3996/page-9#post-44722

On pictures where light are installed (second - rear left light,fifth and sixth - rear right light) you can see double wires on some connectors....those wires are for tow bar

Thanks both of you for your replies. I was thinking of using the 3m wire splicers (the ones were you snap the thing shut and it barely cuts into the wire) but I am leary of messing with the wire harness. The wire connectors to my lights are in good order and I'd rather not mess with them either. I'll be stopping by the auto part place tomorrow (don't know if they have the 3m connectors here in France) and will update you.

Steve

Ive fitted my bar but am also curious how to get the cables to the rear of the van, I suspect im drilling a hole somewhere?

When I applied my tow bar my fog light don't fit anymore with the original support.. I will an extention for the original. How you applied yours?

In our country old cars don't need a fog light or reversing light or headrest or rear seat belts etc. etc.
But in the same rear cross member which is hollow there are blind rivet nuts or there are holes to apply blind rivet nuts for mounting a fog light or reversing light.
20230514_073314[1].jpg

Thanks found my way in, didnt know how to get the wiring inside but found the access hole behind the light cluster

In our country old cars don't need a fog light or reversing light or headrest or rear seat belts etc. etc.
But in the same rear cross member which is hollow there are blind rivet nuts or there are holes to apply blind rivet nuts for mounting a fog light or reversing light.
View attachment 32095
With the tow bar applied, the access to this holes is not anymore easy to fit the original fog light support.

Back