Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Howsabout an R4 instead of an eternity ring?

mr_jprice

Enthusiast
Hi there everyone,

WHAT A FANTASTIC SITE!

Several years ago when my [now] wife and her friend were in Croatia, the two them saw an R4 and wanted to drive it back to the UK instead of flying home.

Of course they never did it but now, a few years on, and with our just having our second baby last week, I figured it would be a good time to buy her one as a combined Valentine gift / Eternity ring (though she will probably end up getting the ring too - how do women do that????).

I am looking for a good example and any suggestions / thoughts would be most welcome. Despite being an avid fan of Top Gear, when it comes to older cars I wouldn't have a clue where to start!

Is this a fantastic thought or should I just pass it off as a bad idea? The car would not be a main car, more of a sunday afternoon plaything and would be kept in storage most of the time (unless you can get two baby seats in) until the babies are older.

Many thanks for your advice in advance!!!

:-) Understood.

What if...
1. I could be a long term babysitter?
2. You could be a surrogate parent and give a childless couple the opportunity to become a parent????
3. They would be sent off to a loving home...

Are any of these working or am I just wasting my time? :-)

Bluebell

You would probably get a better price for the R4's than for your children :wink:

I'm moved to tears. Perhaps Clementine can help - he runs an orphanage for unwanted unloved R4s which he nurtures back to health. Eventually.

We'll keep an eye open for any good ones that turn up.

PS I'll accept any offers for two classic 1970s kids, good runners and reasonable bodywork.

Would you consider a part exchange for a one week old who's undercarriage is slightly messy, engine makes a hell of a lot of noise when you least expect and who has a habit of making you dance like an idiot in vain attempts to bring the noise level down?

I am actually trying to get hold of cock a doodle dude to see what his R4 is like - have you seen it advertised on here - I'm not sure what it is like but it looks OK?

For baby seats - rear seatbelts were an optional extra for cars with the GTL body (post 1983). Some cars have them but they are static. It's possible to fit inertia reel seatbelts for about £100 from securon, and I'm sure Ian will take photos of his instalation if required.

Plenty of space in there for babies, though some owners get worried about the Renault 4 not having a euro ncap 5 star crash rating.

Back