Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Ideal Renault 4 wheels

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
My Renault 4 project is nearing paint. Just a little more panel alignment and I'll go for some paint:

nearly-ready.jpg

The question is which wheels should it have?

The wheels are a problem - with 3 times the power the standard wheels just aren't wide enough. I can get a little wider with the Spanish GTL wheels (normal GTL wheels with the early hub caps), but a little wider still would be sensible. I'm thinking something like this:

cream-r4_144-gordidi.jpg

Perhaps with the paint in a slightly lighter shade. I like the light creme - it's a summer colour for me.

Something more like the photo I pinched from http://www.geocities.com/richardirl/52.htm but not quite so pink (I'm sure that's the camera).

switz4.jpg

So to end the preamble - What does anyone suggest for happy summer creme paint codes? What would you recommend? And what about the wheels - will the Gordini wheels be too ghastly? Every other part inside and outside will be a mix of 1967 and 1968 model years. I'd hate to spoil the effect with '84 R5 wheels, but I'm struggling for rim width. Anyone have suggestions for a colour for them to hide them a little?

Last edited:
I loved the blue of my Renault 5 Alpine (mine was a left hand drive one so didn't have to have the name changed)

But for a Renault 4 then that cream is a fantastic colour. as for the wheels then yes I think wider steel rims would be a far better choice than the Gordini rims, there are companies around who are allowed to widen rims still, trouble is I bet it costs an awful lot!!

Ok had a quick search and here's some fellas that do it

http://www.wide-wheels.co.uk/Prices.html

I reckon it'd be the nicest way to go, making it look as stock as possible, especially with that lovely cream paintwork.

I don't really like the Gordini wheels on an early 4 either. The original wheels won't fit because of the disc brakes, otherwise I'd certainly widen those. (Checked again tonight - they'd need somewhere between 12mm and 25mm wheel spacers to clear the brake callipers.)

There's wheel fitted to the spanish cars that's like a GTL wheel with a hubcap which I could possibly widen -

From French Four's album:

french-4.jpg

Renospeed (who has the same trouble) uses late R5 pressed steel wheels, but I'm not a fan of those. I'm tempted to try some really grippy 145 tyres. :D

Has to be cream or grey - the seats are red. Happy enough with a colour just off white (Old English White like) if I can find a Renault paint code that's close.

I've had some stylistic input off-line. Nobody likes the Gordini wheels and we've decided cream with cream wheels is maybe a bit '80s Mercedes. Also we've decided I'm not a quick driver, so 145s would be more than enough. :D

So here's another option (pinched from http://www.renault4.plus.com/gallery/peoplespics/PPy/PP242.htm)

PP242b.jpg

Anyone elses views much appreciated.

The blue, the red or the yellow one, or is it the primrose colour on the Fiat 600?

I've decided on cream I think (though the yellow fiat is rather fetching). Fixated by the wheels now - which do you reckon would suit an early creme Renault 4 the best?

..No question about it Malcolm..

..This one and this one and this one and this one - It would be kind of nice as a way of expressing solidarity with Nelson Mandela on his 90th birthday?

• CIMG0203.JPG
    CIMG0203.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 575
  • CIMG0199.JPG
    CIMG0199.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 574
I do like the wolfrace wheels a lot, but they are probably a bit racy. Just don't seem to be any understated aftermarket (or special original) wheels. Guess that's because people who want to pay for different wheels want something distinctive.

There seems to be almost nothing out there for those of us who would love the early wheels if only they would fit over the disc brakes and were maybe half an inch wider than was considered necessary for a 29bhp car.

Guess until Ian spots the gap in the market and starts manufacturing wheels that look identical to the original drum brake wheels but that will fit over the disc brakes I'm stuck with the Spanish wheels for "originality".

PS - got some self etch primer on the panels today. Looks lovely. :hug:

..Remember Malcolm..

..Ignoramus is my middle name..but when I bought the french Greeney for 100 euros I thought the wheels would look fab on my London Greeney but you never told me that they wouldnt, so you have just ruined my evening Malcolm but, C'est la vie!!

After all, I dont know the difference between a Renault 4 Buffalo and a Renault 4 Bison

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't wash your hands in a..... Ooch - nearly got me there. :D

On some Renault press photos of the F6 a wheel is pictured, that looks like the drum-brake wheel, but it is completely closed, not even the four slots. As I have never seen one of these, I wonder if they reached actual production, and also whether they will fit on disc braked R4s.
Barbara (WinterSpirit) must be the one in the world having old style wheels with drum brakes! A bodyworker who was assembling her R4 after respray noticed they will not fit, so his solution was a big hammer on the inside of the slots...and voila! Amazing enough, these wheels had no problem being balanced later....

..But, and this is a gigantic but..

..I now agree with your suggestion Malcolm that a front wheel from a Green 1980 Type R1126 Renault 4 with drum brakes and front handbrake will not fit onto a Blue 1984 disc braked Renault 4 Type - O - Graphical / Error and the first photos show what enormous, (and when I say enormous I mean enormous) damage can be done to the caliper and the internal rim of the wheel but, and this is a mamoth but, if you look in the Renault 4 Spares list 1978 - 1988, part number CS/1216-422G/USB-747-iPod-UB40/U2 - 1066, is a special spacer piece made specifically for mounting old wheels onto new cars - They fit very neatly in between the holding together wheel bolts and cost 6 euros plus tva each and are available at all the 4 Good Renault shops here in France. I even have some spares that I may pop up on Ebay unless anyone wants some?

So, and this is an enormous so Malcolm dear boy, problem solved.

So, and this is not such a big so, the future is bright wheels and the future is black wheels..

• CIMG0024.JPG
    CIMG0024.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 257
  • CIMG0026.JPG
    CIMG0026.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 256
  • CIMG0032.JPG
    CIMG0032.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 249
  • CIMG0034.JPG
    CIMG0034.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 247
You know the early wheels will fit on the rear? And those GTL wheels you have on the back will fit on the front? Just checking. :D

Hercule the frog is biting at my ankles. He wants to suggest that if the front RH wheel locked up while driving through an arboretum the car could easily skid and hit a tree. :eek:

Angel - those F6 wheels would be perfect - they had 4.5 inch rims on the F6. I've not seen any either so possibly it was just a prototpe thing. Though they must have got very close to production if they appeared in press photos.

Which car is Barbaras? Would certainly reduce the size of wheel spacers needed if those indents were ground off (as Ian has done). Though look at the dents in Ian's wheel caused by the bolts that hold the discs. More trouble. If the wheel sits on the bolts that's not a good thing as the nuts will have nothing to tighten against (well done Ian for posting the photo - I've learned much).

..I've learned much..

..Oh Malcolm, what a lovely pat on my back - for me to have taken a photo that you 'have learned from' is a great but you missed out on the funny bit and La piece de la resistance and also thanks you Bluebell for mentioning that lovely holiday website - It is so booked up that I have already booked for next year, but luckily I am about to visit Holiday Heaven in Burgundy next week, and I cant wait - I have heard so much about it : www.holidayheaveninburgundy.com

• mistakes.jpg
    mistakes.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 232
Barbara has not posted a photo here yet. It's an (around) 1985 GTL.

Obviously these spacers are too thick. I would think twice before putting any sort of track extension on a R4 as altering the offset puts major stress on front suspension components, not to mention that they spoil the already well laid out suspension geometry of our cars.

might as well post my thoughts everyone ,
the mystery rims on early f6 (pics anyone ?) are completely smooth with no vents or hub cap bolt thread pretty rare as fitted to early 1980 1981 vans only and 845cc R5
these were fitted with front DRUM brakes as were all early gtl R1128 (prior to facelift dash models 1982)
bearing in mind europe got 1108 R4s before uk Angel may say different :)

going back to the depths of my past experience pretty sure that if you use bendix caliper setup and countersink drive flange bolts that hold discs on there is just ! clearance for drum brake type rims

but i do get confused easily these days and maybe thinking of different old renaults :confused:

any way must get back to my dark project :rolleyes:

You are all stars of the greatest brilliance. :hug:

Bendix brakes are a lot more compact - thanks Mr Reno. I've just tried one on a hub with the disc screws removed and the early wheel goes around (with the odd little scrape - would have to fettle the vent holes in the wheel a little).

I don't suppose anyone knows of a car with that style of wheel in 4.5 inch width? Otherwise I'm tempted to go with the early rims and some decent quaility 145 tyres.

hi allan, (and every body else )

id thought about rostyles but think they are possibly wrong for a (visually) mid 60s R4
we never got them over here but believe 90s french Clan models used them

5 Le Car turbos used these in 1984/5 - wider than standard 5
pic below shows 2 sitting in back of Gordini powered R6 in the famous barn :roll:

• mini-renault 022.jpg
    mini-renault 022.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 257
Back