Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Ignition switch blues

Perkins

Enthusiast
Hi to all,

Rene, my wife's normally faithful R4 is currently on a mission to self distruct. Having just been left stranded miles from home, as the barrel in the ignition lock collapsed, I had to drill it out, after trying everything else.

I managed to drive it home, but having removed the whole barrel/lock assembly, the actual switch mechanism disintegrated.

So I could either source a complete new assembly, which I'm sure isn't easy - any ideas. Or, I could add a key switch to the dash for the necessary live wires and a separate starter button !

However, the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual is absolutely useless and I can't tell with my multimeter which wire is doing what and of course the broken original in pieces gives me no clues.

The car has 4 main wires into the switch - beige, white, red and grey and all of the same diameter.

Can anyone tell me which need to be permanently live (when running) and which is the starter motor wire.

At least then, we can use the car whilst I source a new 'proper' switch.

Thanks for your help.

Perkins

DerFranzose has new replica locks in stock, if you can live with £50! Otherwise, maybe other members have scrap cars to donate one from.....

Back