Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

I'm back! - Story of the trip this summer and the woes of the autumn

Niels Svane

Renault 4TL '83, 1B1 845cc engine, Ducellier diz
Hi everybody - I've missed you!
So I wanted to take the R4 on a trip the summer of 2018, and with a friend we chose to drive from Denmark to the classic Le Mans in .... Le Mans.
After some preparations: oil and filter change, air in the tires, 12V plug, removal of the rear seat, a good clean, new rotor and plugs, we were ready to go in late June.
We drove from Southern Denmark at 3.30 in the morning to get past Hamburg and all the heavy traffic before 8.00 o'clock. After filling the car with octane 99 and 100, it really went like crazy - soo smooth and drove 18.5 km/l fully loaded at speeds up to 105 km/h (it's a late 845cc).
The first day ended at the Nürburgring, where we wanted to take the car to the track the next day. So the first stint was 1040 km (15 hours with stops and wrong turns). That day I was the only one driving as I knew the car and actually didnt feel tired at any point. After some searching we found a really nice campsite with cars and bikes racing past on the winding road, and some young germans that gave us some beer.
The next day we took the car to the Ring when we FINALLY found the right entrance.... It ran 40 km/h on the slowest parts and 110 at the fastest. We chose to take off the roofrack at the track, to get full aerodynamics :D The time ended up with something between 17 and 20 minutes!
We then drove to Luxembourg and camped at a super nice camp site on the top of a small mountain (large for us danes). At this point the car had trouble starting and drove iffy at low speeds. So I called my R4 guru in Denmark, and got to a sticky needlevalve. After dismantling and cleaning the carburetor (Zenith 32IF) we left the parts to soak in WD40 and left to eat a cheap and good steak with chips while watching Denmark and Croatia play WM in football.

We then drove to Champagne and Chablis (and loaded some crates of whine), Verdun, Orleans and Le Mans, where we watched the Classic Le Mans races and exhibitions (we where only TWO R4's - the other one was french). One of the days a beer cap exploded and hit my eye, so after removal of the contact lense we had to find an ambulance pronto (I lost all visual on that eye and apparently it bled inside). After some campsite guards ignored us, we drove to the race track where some nice young guards helped us, and I got to the hospital.
I got my sight back at around 22.30 in the evening and got some hardcore medicin for the rest of the trip.
After a few days we decided to go back home and drove to Belgium. On the way the car overheated (up hill at 100 km/h) but after a rest and some more water + bleeding, it went fine for the rest of the trip. Then from Belgium we drove the long way home in one run in about 14 hours.

I ended up driving 3700 km in 11 days, and I'm really proud of the little cars performance. This year we'll probably go to Normandy because of the 75th anniversary of the invasion of france.
Since then I got hit by a car while on my motorcycle in Denmark and broke my collar bone - the guy also just drove off without me getting his number. This led to a depression and a standstill of my PhD, and also silence in this forum from me. 2019 will therefore be the year where the R4 will get a complete rust treatment (new panels and proper undercoating), and maybe some other stuff. Presently I have driven nearly 30.000km in it, and this winter the only problem is intermittent loss of heating (air in the system), and rough running at more that 1/3 gas pedal depression for 5-10 km's both when cold and lukewarm. I've cleaned the carb but it didnt help - and I am runnning with carb-fluid when below 5 degrees.

So this was my long update from the last half year! I hope you all had nice trips last year and a merry christmas and happy new year! I hope to meet some of you this year on the trips and you are of course welcome here in Denmark.

Sincerely, Niels
The carb-cleaning:
carb.jpg

The champagne-run:
champ2.jpg
On the Le Mans track:
Bugatti.jpg
At Nürburgring:
Nurburgring.jpg
classic.jpg
lemans2.jpg
orleans.jpg
Packed.jpg

verdun.jpg
stickers.jpg

Wow Niels, what a year you've had, that is quite a trip, and well done to you and your friend, and of course your trusty 4, what a brilliant car. Very sorry to hear you've been in the wars though, your motorcycle accident sounds horrendous. Hope you are on the mend now. Maybe catch up with you at Thenay? Mmm, Denmark, that sounds tempting.

Regards Brian.

Hi Niels, what a story and adventures! A R4 on the Nordschleiffe - how awesome! :D

Keep it up for 2019, and good to see you back on the forum :waving:

Thanks everyone. I'm getting back through a bit of therapy, having good friends, and feddling with the cars and bikes.
Hopefully there'll be proper accomodation if any of you comes by for a visit, as I am looking at a house near the university where I work. Having a garage and being able to work on the machines properly will be so good for the mental state of mind :)

ccc.JPG

Wau!

What adventure....
3700km in 11 days......
I am dreaming of something similar in my R4 but time is biggest issue for succeeding that dream...... one day it will come.

Biggest advantage going around in R4 is that you can fix it on the road.

Tell us little bit more about Nurburgring.

How did other participants and staff react when they saw R4?
What time did you achieve?

Wish you fast recovery from accident and easy work on car.

Hi Petak
Time wasnt that bad, as around 1000 kms a day is okay (if using more highways than we did). But the arse and legs are sore after 300.
Yep it was nice beeing able to mend the small issues when we had them. I hope it will be ready again this year.
At nürburgring they had to check with some higher-up manager. They dont allow cars on the german H-kennzeichen (classic car registration) to run there due to their insurance, but mine is "normally" registered and insured in DK, because I use it all year round.
Then they said that 60 km/h at all times was the minimum allowed speed, and we only came down to 40 one time, due to me being a bit iffy with the track. They said that a Trabant had gone on the track so of course we could too :) The other drivers didnt seem to mind, and the track officials were nice and waving. The only scary thing - and this is what all should be aware of - is the immense speed of the other cars, when you are in a R4. Keep right at all times and use the right indicator when a car comes from behind.
We had a blast though and went on honking and waving to the crowd :) The time was between 17 and 20 minutes!

Maybe they do now :) It might just have been the upload to youtube, that was slower. Can you check?
Else they have to be made official on youtube ;)

Great Nurburgring experience.
Thank you for sharing

P.S. Videos still do not work :(

How about now :) I just don't want them totally public right now

now i see it....

Always impress me how "slow" it looks when you drive 100km/h on flat,straight peace of road.

I'll put up some of the action-corner videos when I'm at the other computer :) The difference between the R4 and the BMWs and Porsches is scary :D

Back