Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

I’m thinking of doing a New York to Las Vegas

Sprackers

Enthusiast
Morning Chaps

I’m thinking of doing a New York to Las Vegas road trip in Christine.

has anyone driven in the USA? Or done a road trip over the pond?

Any advice on what I might need?

cheers

Sprackers

Point, condensator. Some cooling fluid. Some engine oil. Belts.
Some basic tools.
straps for tying
gurtne-trake-vezanje-tereta-zatezacem-slika-108326824.jpg

plastic ties
use-plasticne-vezice-3-5mm-x-200mm-pakiranje-50-kom-ct-200-3-5.jpg

maybe some rope or wire and pliers for cutting.

And check rubbers on driveshafts and ball joints before you go.

Everithing else should be alright.

P.S. How and when did you transfer R4 to USA?

Hello @Sprackers

I delivered a car coast-to-coast across the States some years ago. One of the best trips of my life. If you can make yours happen I'd heartily recommend. The States is well-blessed with amazing landscapes that you just don't get to see with city trips.

On my trip I found it quite viable to wing it continuously, finding gas stations, motels, restaurants and tourist attractions as I went; convenience culture seems to be what the Americans do well.

From Las Vegas it's only a short step to The Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam, Death Valley and the Panamint Hills, all well worth seeing.

For trip planning, as in all countries staying off the Interstates yields more to see. I'm sure there's a great variety of routes but perhaps you could track Historic Route 66?

Would love to hear that you went for this one :)

Best wishes, Simon.

It's an expensive proposition, and insurance can be a problem. However...

I shipped my Beetle over to California in 2010 to attend a couple of events - did around 1600 miles over there. Been to the USA 58 times, but this was the highlight. Even the Police wanted to take a closer look... :whistle:

Driving.JPGphoto2.jpg

I lived in Western Canada and did quite a bit of driving there and in the states. East is Fab, west is fab but the fly over bit, of western ontario, Manitoba , Sasketchewan and eastern Alberta are the same flat endless emptiness. Thats why its called fly over.
The West coast is fab, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Washington, California, Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona is all amazing, and as said already, the landscape is so stunning that often you are overwhelmed by the scale and beauty. Actual Cities are a disappointment, except Chicago, which is terrific, buildings, centre, Galleries, Museum ( they have an original U boat you can go in).
See the avenue of the giants Redwood Grove.. Monterey , Highway 1 coast road, Pebble Beach golf course, Boeing, Nevada desert. Las Vegas is worth one night, no more, but the desert is amazing. I did Physical Geography at A level and the west of the US has it all, as does British Columbia.
If you want a list of places, pleased to help.

It would bi fun to drive around USA and Canada with R4.....i can see adventure in my mind.

Back