Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Importing a R4; question on import tax

bartoni79

Enthusiast
Hi All,

I'm very excited as I've just purchased a 30 year old R4 from Canada. I'm in the process of importing it and wonder if anyone would know the answer to the following question...
The car on the Bill of Sales is said to be a 1990 Renault 4, however I contacted Renault myself and it was manufactured in November 1989. I've asked the seller to add this to the bill of sales comments section.
Does the 30 years refer to any car made in 1989 or would it have to be made before May 1989 for the 5% to apply?
Is this car exempt from the 20% import tax charge?
Will HMRC be confused as its says a 1990 Renault 4 but in the comments section it details the year of manufacture as 1989?

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

"1990" probably refers to what the French call the "millésime" which is model year. Yours is a 1990 model but these were available after mid-1989.
Pre-Brexit, as the car is a product of the EU being re-imported into the EU, there should be no import duty to pay — you’ll need to discuss this with HMRC. After Brexit, probably there will be an import charge.

Should be able to claim it as a collectors vehicle at a rate of 5 % . The value also takes into account the shipping and handling charges as part of the vehicle cost . Most of this should be handled by your shipping agent .
As lobster says get the pack from DVLA .

Back