Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Importing..... What do I need to know?

Lobster

Enthusiast
If one was to have a huge desire for a Mk1 Twingo, and one decided that the best way to obtain one was just to buy the right one in France / Netherlands / Germany, then what do I need to know?

I know I need to do the NOVA thing but what else? Just make sure I have the registration docs from whatever country and get my insurer to insure it on the chassis number?

Experience, advice and wisdom appreciated!

If one was to have a huge desire for a Mk1 Twingo, and one decided that the best way to obtain one was just to buy the right one in France / Netherlands / Germany, then what do I need to know?

I know I need to do the NOVA thing but what else? Just make sure I have the registration docs from whatever country and get my insurer to insure it on the chassis number?

Experience, advice and wisdom appreciated!
My tuppence worth having done this all fairly recently for my second F4.
Make sure you have a bill of sale plus any registration documentation from whichever country you purchase from.
Same with MOT equivalent.
Insurance will give you cover based on chassis number.
DVLA will not accept CT or any equivalent testing
Prepare vehicle for UK MOT. No sticky things on headlights are accepted for UK MOT. Rear fog light needs to be fitted.
Take for MOT, pass that then apply to DVLA for UK registration. It is all online and you can print off form and notes.
Submit with fee plus 6 or 12 months road tax payment.
Wait for new V5. [Mine took 2 weeks to arrive but it can be longer]
Enjoy your purchase.:laughing::clapping:

Hope of some assistance?

If its from Germany you do have to arrange temporary plates to drive it back ( not needed obviously if transported).
This is a pretty accurate description of process lifted from another forum...

I bought my motorhome from Germany last year and this is how I managed it:-

1. Spoke to the dealer. He arranged the export plates in advance, although I needed to provide him with a letter of consent (he worded it and I signed and scanned it back) and a colour photocopy of my passport. If you're buying privately, your seller may be amenable in this regard. I concur with the above comments that the registration offices can be incredibly busy and I also gather many aren't open at the weekend.

2. From my understanding, I could have export plates with a 2 or 4 week validity. I chose 2 weeks as I would be collecting and driving back to the UK in one weekend.

3. The export plates have full EU 3rd party insurance. I left it at that. This, clearly, covers UK use so I was covered once landed in the UK.

4. Alternatively, I could have bought Transit plates. These differ as you don't need vehicle registration details beforehand and can source them, via courier, before your trip and simply attach them to your vehicle. They still cover full EU 3rd party insurance BUT, I gather, only have a 4 day validity. I'm told that certain EU countries don't like them being used other than in the country of issue, so you MIGHT get pulled over, but you'll still have full EU insurance. And they're significantly cheaper.

5. Once landed in the UK, you'll need an MOT (done on the VIN) to qualify for UK registration. I insured with Flux on the VIN for UK insurance, although their caveat was the vehicle shouldn't be driven until the UK registration is granted. You'll need proof of UK insurance to gain a V5.

6. You'll need to verify your purchase with HMRC within 2 weeks. Get a screen dump of the confirmation. I didn't get an email or any further verification, but DVLA need proof!

7. You'll need DVLA's 'Export Pack' to complete. Get two just in case you cock one up. Be patient with DVLA and reasonable. I had my application rejected twice on minor grounds, which DVLA's own instructions (depending on which booklet you read - and quote from in your application) contradict. Nevertheless, the entire process took less than 2 weeks.”
This is off of Pistonheads site, there is a good thread covering import of cars from Germany to Uk, goes into more detail, ie not through a dealer aswell, principally telling you where you need to go if its not done for you before going.
Not sure about France and Holland.

German export plates are 30 days max although the expiry date is dependant on the HU (m.o.t). Vehicles with lapsed test certificates must be transported.
DVLA will reject the registration document from the country of origin if the date of original registration appears in the incorrect field.
Your insurer will badger you for the car's UK index number when the v.i.n insurance has been in force for 30 days. They have a legal right to suspend cover after this period.
Google will help with vehicle specification questions.
Less than half the questions on the V55 need to be completed (ten-year-rule) certificate of conformity; type approval; emissions > SKIP.
I always complete the form lightly in pencil until happy all entries correct. Take care, bottom copy is carbon-sensitive,
N

Last edited:
Do agree wholeheartedly with Neils comment regarding the climate the car has ‘lived’ in throughout its life, especially when looking at cars 10 years old+, exactly the reason when looking for my 4 I basically discounted looking at any that came from a lattitude north of middle Spain/Portugal, they may be dusty/dirty and need a good cut and polish due to sun/climate but 80% of the time your not looking at future welding but cosmetics.

Back