Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Indicator questions

Cowhorns

Enthusiast
Hi I have recently bought a 1979 ex PTT F4 fourgonette herein the South of France. So far so good. I have some questions about the indicators. Currently they dont "auto" switch off after going round a corner. Is this a 4L thing? Are they not meant to? Is there any way to "fix" this?
Also they are very quiet so I never know when they are on or off which generally means I drive with indicators on all the time. :mad: . There is no light on the dash. The mechanic said a repetiteur sonore clignotant 12v. but I cant seem to find one for a R4. Is this a kind of switch or an extra attachment just to make the noise? Is it a standard or a specific R4 piece? Alternatively would a new switch fix it?

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

Hi,
a '79 m0del won't have self-cancelling indicators. They came with the new shape dashboard in the early eighties. There is a light in the instrument panel, you may have a bad connection or blown bulb. The same green light is for left and right indication. Old style flasher cans (the repetiteur sonore clignotant) were audible because they were a mechanical/thermal relay with a bimetallic strip expanding with heat and clicking on and off as it struck the contact. These days flasher cans are often a solid state unit that makes no noise. You will need to get the earlier type to get the good old noise. They are common to a lot of other cars, you need a 3 terminal unit for 12 volt negative earth cars. You need a mechanical or electromechical one, not an electronic one. Google "3 pin electromechanical flasher relay 12V".

Hi I have recently bought a 1979 ex PTT F4 fourgonette herein the South of France. So far so good. I have some questions about the indicators. Currently they dont "auto" switch off after going round a corner. Is this a 4L thing? Are they not meant to? Is there any way to "fix" this?
Also they are very quiet so I never know when they are on or off which generally means I drive with indicators on all the time. :mad: . There is no light on the dash. The mechanic said a repetiteur sonore clignotant 12v. but I cant seem to find one for a R4. Is this a kind of switch or an extra attachment just to make the noise? Is it a standard or a specific R4 piece? Alternatively would a new switch fix it?

Any help gratefully received.
is
Thanks
Hi
There's this: https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto/2254924897.htm

And a new one (worth checking that it clicks):

There should be a warning light on the dash:
20221231_105918.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,
a '79 m0del won't have self-cancelling indicators. They came with the new shape dashboard in the early eighties. There is a light in the instrument panel, you may have a bad connection or blown bulb. The same green light is for left and right indication. Old style flasher cans (the repetiteur sonore clignotant) were audible because they were a mechanical/thermal relay with a bimetallic strip expanding with heat and clicking on and off as it struck the contact. These days flasher cans are often a solid state unit that makes no noise. You will need to get the earlier type to get the good old noise. They are common to a lot of other cars, you need a 3 terminal unit for 12 volt negative earth cars. You need a mechanical or electromechical one, not an electronic one. Google "3 pin electromechanical flasher relay 12V".
Thanks for this! Really helpful.

Thanks for this! Really helpful.
Hi
There's this: https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto/2254924897.htm

And a new one (worth checking that it clicks):

There should be a warning light on the dash:
View attachment 31220
I was with the car today (its in a friends garage) and tried the indicator. If you indicate right, no green light. If you indicate left however, it flashes on momentarily then goes off. I'm annoyed with myself now that I didnt check it with the hazards on. I did also notice that the rear RH indicator has a dud bulb in it. Still quite strange behaviour. I will take this sheet wirth me the next time and try out all the different lights. Another thing I noticed when driving it was that the speedo seems to work ok- well the needle is quite wobbly, but the mileometer (or the km equivalent) doesnt work. That said, the 10,000 dial just seems to go round all the time.
Very perplexing but I'm loving it!

Check first that all indilator lamps are good and flash, then if the problem is still present, change the flasher unit.
Odometer going wild is rather common on six digit Jaeger units. Easiest and cheapest fix is to fit a good secondhand instrument palnel.

Back