Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

intake manifold hoses??

merlody

Enthusiast
hi guys. as u know i fitted a R5 engine in my R4, but i've found 2 hoses in the intake manifold that i don't know what should i connect them to:( so i just closed them:(

one in the middle of the manifold just under the carburator ( i found it also in my old R4 engine but i don't remember what was connected to it)

the other opening is @ the far end of the manifold towards the front of the vehicle ( this i think is for the servo brake, right? )

plz if any one could help me in that :) thanks

The hose below the carb is for crankcase breathing, it should be connected to a T-union with hoses to the rocker cover and air filter or carburettor top. There are some variations in connecting this (some models have a hose to the oil sump) so it depends on engine version.
The other fitting should be for the brake servo as you thought, plug it well or you will have problems with vacuum loss.

for a nice neat way of blocking servo pipe on manifold if you unscrew it with allan key you can blank threaded hole with spare cylinder block drain plug from old engine

1st of all thnx for u all:)
but about the hose for the crankcase breathing, will it add additional air to the mixture so that i should adjust the mixture screw in the carb? or it will just add additional oil vapour to the mix with no air
coz when i open this hose to the air, the engine stopped running due to the large amount of air to fuel mixture
thnx

to clarify things the engine will not idle or indeed run properly at all if this pipe does not have a restrictor in the pipe before the t piece going to the oil breather system

this is normaly a small plastic piece with approx 1.5mm dia hole and fits inside rubber tube

however the engine wil run ok with this blanked off as well

there is another thread about this a little while back

Back