Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

is it even legal to gather here at the Caff ??

Well hopefully a little relaxation of the lockdown today and seeing family again after 29 March, about 5 weeks away. Have not hugged my son or daughter for 15 months. Very difficult. However, my mother at 17 was in Holland during the war, and suffered the Germans, the shootings, the famine, and survived, and my dad was an emergency surgery theatre assistant at Coventry and in Birmingham during the blitz, which was much worse than what I am or we are facing. So this is just something that we HAVE to get through together. This forum is a great help, and so is my Renault. And so is hearing about everyone else's Renaults.

Last edited:
My 4 today, a pictorial reason why it brings me sanity in these troubling times, never designed to be ‘Over the rainbow’ or ‘End of the Rainbow’, just happy living under the rainbow, if things are bad it can only get better....32366750-D740-4BBC-B40C-F905E6BC85D9.jpeg

‘Borrowing’ the councils wi-fi again, lockdown restrictions still in place here until Saturday, proper expresso coffee and pastry time, the little things..so this post and visit to forum is me bending the rules a bit, shopping bag at feet, dogs on leads, ipad whipped out of bag, the power of the internet, undercover violation in plain sight, socially mixing globally.

So glad it looks for all of us that an end is in sight to this pandemic with the vaccines now in the pipeline, hopefully our bloodstreams soon if not already,

also have to say personally am a bit disappointed and saddened that globally our leaders and our media have drawn parallels with the pandemic and war from the start of this pandemic.

War polarises people, it is an unfortunate historical coincidence that the last pandemic to this one was at the tail end of WW1, we then have WW2, parallels we are being force fed which don’t really help in getting us through lockdowns, the mindset of war, the memory of lost, the horror of atrocities.

Today our soldiers are supporting the doctors and nurses, not fighting each other to supply cases.

Lockdowns battle cry has been ‘ retreat, disperse, run and hide’

How does that relate to either or any conventional war?

Its not us and them it is us and ?

War is mankind killing mankind, a pandemic is of mythical legend proportions, outside man, it is the threat of extinction from outside mankind to mankind.

Glad that our respective ‘Arthurs’ are having their grail cups filled by todays ‘Merlins’ to disperse to the people, hopefully dispelling the dark times of lockdown.( bit ‘Monty Python’ but laughter always helps)

Brings me here, Renault 4 , born in the peacetime 60’s, celebrating its 60th year this year, devoid of confrontation, accessible transport for the masses, assembly plants here and there in its time globally ( What a great Ikea!), still battling out in the 4l Trophy, polished and prized at shows, running us to the shops, meeting people who talk of fond memories, 1st car to last, priced from best wishes to eye watering auction, ( everything to nothing or nothing to everything?), no wonder this forum and the cars themselves have brought us escape! Jump in, get there, enjoy !

Heres a photo of my grandmother, before she was even a mother, in the years following WW1 and pandemic, before the man with the camera took off his pearly waistcoat to put his children on trains while he donned a fireman’s uniform to pull his neighbours bodies out of the rubble of the building behind her. He said to me as a child ‘ There’s no winners in war son’, but taking the picture think he was thinking ‘Party On!’

Its not the spirit of war in her eyes, its human spirit. This IS peacetime. Celebrate!

2FA564F6-C785-4CDA-AC5B-D978E940F4D8.jpeg

If we are posting pictures of our grandmothers - here's mine somewhere around 1941 with a shot gun in one hand and a plate of sandwiches in the other. :-)

The lockdown in the UK will continue for at least another 4 months. Well past when suicides will exceed deaths with a positive covid test. Our lot are crazy. Mind you I've gone crazy too. Not seen another human being in months and my mental health wasn't great to start with. Only another 4 months of not seeing humans.

ruth060 copy-small.jpg

That is a great photo. Old stooks in a field, man with a scythe in the distance, and probably a cider flagon in her right hand. A little piece of history

Malcolm, I go out for a walk round a particular circuit around our little hamlet, about 1 km, maybe 12 minutes, once, sometimes twice a day. Good exercise, cold nose, and you bump into someone now and then and have a chat, at a distance, and its a great refresher. Its easy for me to sit at my drawing board all day. So I just do it, sometimes stroll other times speed walk. Its as important as whatever else you may be doing. And these days there is no dress code.

I wasn't exercising last year - was worried about the weight loss and didn't want to make it worse. Turns out I wasn't eating enough. Will start cycling again this year now the weather is getting better.

I have been taking advantage of the lack of dress code - I've noticed it too. It's amusing to turn up at a builders merchant wearing a dress. :)

People may moan about facemasks but they do have advantages...!

People may moan about facemasks but they do have advantages...!
On that occasion it was outside on one of the rare occasions that masks were not required. And I hadn't shaved for a few days. I would still like to moan about the facemasks. They offer people a false sense of security at best.

On that occasion it was outside on one of the rare occasions that masks were not required. And I hadn't shaved for a few days. I would still like to moan about the facemasks. They offer people a false sense of security at best.
What really amuses me about the mask thing is the civil liberty activists, not wearing them this year on demonstrations to be caught on CCTV, but 18 months ago wearing them so not as to be caught by the CCTV . Here is sparse people wise, masks are the new crevat, until you see a uniform, do like a big sun hat and shades still

As I said to the cashier in my local bank the other day: "this is the first time I've LEGALLY entered a bank with a mask on and walked out with some money!" (He'd probably heard it before, though!)

Back