Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

i've got the wobbles can you help

Steve I

Enthusiast
Ist let me say hello to you all, thats before you throw me out for only having three wheels.
Iv'e just bought a three wheeler, the car uses all the mechanicals from a 1983 4 gtl and it handles something terrible, seems alright till you get to 35 then it starts to wander from side to side, it's not too bad when cornering.
You can see the shocks when you are going along and I have noticed that the shocks seem to be bottoming out, it feels as if it's bouncing from one bump stop to the other and then back again. It has just passed a MOT. and all the steering and suspension seems to be ok. I've checked the ride height that seems ok, the only thing I can see is the off side is 15 mm higher than the near side.
I have checked the shocks and they seem ok. I have thought of putting a set of AVO gas shocks on. The car is a copy of a DRK all the info I found on them seems to say that they handle very good.
So has anybody any ideas what could be wrong. Your steve I

Assuming that all ball joints and bushes are in good condition without play, the next step would be to have the front alignment checked, if possible by someone knowing how to correct the steering rack height. Better if you could adjust that 15 mm height difference before.
How do you judge the shocks are good? They can be perfect outside with no oil leaks but with poor damping due to mileage. Your best bet would be a new pair.

If it were a real R4 I would suggest checking the rear wheel alignment, but... :-D

Hi thanks angel, the castor and camber I will be checking. I used to do that back in the 70s just need to remember how. Would the steering rack alignment give this sort of problem? Shocks seem not too bad I have removed them and they seem to damp ok. The suspension seems very soft, the top wishbones are parallel with the floor, the same as the white one in my album, and the ride height is about 7.5”, which look about right on photos of 4s that I have seen.
After reading some of the post on this forum it looked beneficial to fit gas shocks? AVO has an offer on at present £65.00 each. has anybody fitted them and are they any good?
I have put a photo or two of the car in my album. We are calling the car Betty as its ugly, at the moment.
It should look like the grey one, after its been fettled.

Those look very cool.

Something as daft as too much toe out would cause unstable motion like that. Could imagine a garage would get the toe horribly wrong with just 3 wheels to work on. Does it veer to one side as you go over bumps, or just generally go from one side to another.

What year of R4 is the car based on?

Hi Malcolm, the cars fine going over bumps and around corners its when it comes out of corners or going straight, 30mph is as fast as I dear go in it. it isn't pulling to one side just go's from side to side.

It’s frustrating as in a previous life I was a mechanic, got the papers to prove it somewhere, but I’ve never felt anything like this before. Then againe I only ever worked on one 4.

The car is 1983 R1128 4GTL 1.1 engine and running gear, the chassis is custom made and a timber and aluminium body. Whoever built it, I was told the builder is deceased, made a lovely job.

Back