Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Jacking up the Renault 4

Eccles60

First Renault 4 after 40 years waiting
I've done various searches but can't find any previous postings. So, at an immense risk of being told there's already one (which I'm sure there is), how do I lift and support my GTL with trolley Jack and stands? Thanks and Merry Christmas to all.

Front: Jack under the tubular crossmember, axle stands either under chassis rails or at the front corners of the floor, if you are sure they are not rusted.
Back: Renault provided a special trolley jack fixing that was placed under both boot floor chassis rails, but as no one is likely to own one nowadays, it's not practical to jack both rear wheels at once. Jack is placed under scissor jack points and axle stands under boot floor chassis rails where they meet the rear crossmember, or vice versa. Another secure point for axle stands is under the outer suspension arm mountings, provided that you don't have to remove a suspension arm, and the chassis is solid at this weak point.

Front: Jack under the tubular crossmember, axle stands either under chassis rails or at the front corners of the floor, if you are sure they are not rusted.
Back: Renault provided a special trolley jack fixing that was placed under both boot floor chassis rails, but as no one is likely to own one nowadays, it's not practical to jack both rear wheels at once. Jack is placed under scissor jack points and axle stands under boot floor chassis rails where they meet the rear crossmember, or vice versa. Another secure point for axle stands is under the outer suspension arm mountings, provided that you don't have to remove a suspension arm, and the chassis is solid at this weak point.
Many thanks Angel, a very thorough and useful description. Cheers.

Many thanks Angel, a very thorough and useful description. Cheers.
Having now purchased a Haynes manual, I see it contains jacking details. Do the collected agree with what it says? Cheers.

Back