Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Just a quick engine swap?

Cornish4

Le Dazzleur
Hi there folks. As I said in "what I am doing!" the engine in my 85 GTL seemed past its best, so I decided to rebuild one while still using my car, and then over a few days do an engine swap. Good plan, but there always seems to be loads of other jobs to do before getting to that stage. The engine rebuild has gone well, and is nearly ready but as can be seen the gearbox has a few leaks, so new seals required there. The oil was very metallic looking, hmm, not been replaced for a bit I reckon, but the box was working fine, so new seals and oil and it will be good to go. The gearbox mount was holding on by a thread of rubber, no wonder the exhaust was hitting the inner wing! After 33 years of oil fumes and dirt the chassis was caked in an oily gunge which had protected it, but I've taken the plunge and cleaned it up. As the 4 isn't an every day driver now, chassis protection isn't quite so important, although the inside of this section is waxoiled. I just need to touch in one two places with rust inhibiter and paint, but I like to keep that patina.
I've still got a bit more fettling to do, but hope in the next few days to make a start on reassembly. Regards Brian 20181201_141913.jpg20181201_141854.jpg20181203_170113.jpg20181203_171137.jpg

Nice and clean.
Do you know of her history @Cornish4?
She might be a Portuguese build because the chassis isn’t black like the French build cars.

Good luck.
Robert

Thanks for your comments chaps. It's very interesting what you say harbourseal, but I do know she was first registered in 1985, and was supplied new by Liningtons a Renault garage in Portsmouth. I bought her last year from a chap called Nic, "snailshed" on this forum, and as far as I know he bought her from a forum member called "purpaboo". Up until then I've no idea of her history, but I think it might have been a bit chequered, as purpaboo called her "the folly", and she was and still is a bit battered in places. All part of her charm. I assume she was assembled in the Republic of Ireland at Wexford, but where the chassis originated I've no idea.
Regards Brian.

I reckon it probably was due to being assembled in Ireland, probably quite a different process buiIding a car up from a CKD kit. I remember a renault dealer telling me that they often used to run out of paint and went out and got the nearest they could find.

That makes sense Piet. I expect a lot of parts were either in bare metal or primer when they arrived at the assembly shop, hence the rusting process had already started too. It must have been a very haphazard way of building cars, and must also have been a real headache for the garages trying to sell them.

exactly same thing is going on over here.

I am at gearbox renewal part, and far from engine renewal part, hoping engine inside R4 will last so long to finish gearbox and engine.

This is perfect opportunity for you to check protect front crossmember from rust

Hi petak, I've simply washed out the gearbox and poured a small amount of oil over the gears, and I will top-up to the correct level once it's all back in the car. Of course I've replaced all gaskets and seals too.
Yes as you say an ideal time to give the crossmember a good rust proofing.

That's interesting Malcolm, I must say it looks much better than black.

Hello folks, the latest news is that the rebuilt engine is in the car, and I've been out for a road test. All seems good, no oil or water leaks, and the new motor runs really well, very pleasing. The water temp settles a bit under 80c, and oil pressure is about 45-50psi, which I'm happy with. Yes I've fitted a remote oil pressure sensor, as I like to know what's going on, and it also has a pressure sensor for the dash light fitted. Belt and braces. As you can see I've painted the rocker-cover, fan-pulley and rad-fan housing in RAF blue, just to be different.
The plan now is to put some mileage on it, and at 500 re-torque the head, and check the valve clearances. Then at 1000miles give it an oil and filter change.
Of course I'm running in, so no high revs or letting the engine labour, just steady driving which hopefully will pay off.
I'm now thinking about road trips on the continent this summer.
Regards Brian. 20190106_114722.jpg20190106_114708.jpg20190106_114737.jpg20190106_114826.jpg20190106_114651.jpgFB_IMG_1546613959338.jpg

Looks nice Brian, I wonder where I've seen a blue rocker cover before ;). You'll have to get an RAF roundel sticker and some pretend bullet holes to go with the new paint next!

Nice job , Know its early days with the new engine as far as driving, but did you find and swap engine mounts for new with changeover, if so can you ‘feel’ any difference regards drivability?

Nice work. See you used a LMA fitting for the oil pressure instrument. Have those on both my F4's.

Cornish4 could you not have gone and opened the door for the lady?:confused:
Saved her doing "the through the window" performance!!:):clapping:

Hi Cornish - what model of K&N air filter have you fitted, tempted to replace mine with a K&N. Engine looks stunning :-)

Thank you for your kind words chaps. To be honest laxeian, I've not noticed much difference in drivability regarding the engine mounts, so maybe my old ones weren't so bad after all, although they did seem softer compared to the new ones, and the gearbox one was as I said very much past it best. So no longitudinal movement now at least. Yes the pressure sensor works well Tom, a very worthwhile mod I reckon.
I've a 32mm carb on my car Richard, and the air-cleaner is designed to fit the Solex carb on a VW T2 1600cc engine. It's available from Just Kampers. However it's not a K&N filter, I've made a hybrid using a K&N element I had leftover from a TVR I owned once which I cut to fit. So it's a bit of a faff really, not simple. I'm sure the element is available from K&N on its own. It's from a Ford Essex V6 engine.
Regards Brian.

Hey now that is looking very good indeed - well done you must be chuffed to bits - time to hook up for a cornish R4 spin so I can get to hear it :)

Yes I'm very pleased with it Jim, I'll give you a call, and pop over and see you this week, ok?

Back