Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Just been hit by an Audi A1!!!

P&P

Enthusiast
A very nice young lady just ran into the right hand side front wing, the panel between wing and front door, and the bub cap. As the rear bumper is also mangled (different incident before my time), I thought I would fix it at the same time. could anybody recommend anywhere to round up these parts.

Really sorry to hear that. I hope you are OK.

It's been a long time since I bought any panels, so I can't help you there. But I'm sure someone will offer some advice soon.

Take care.

There is an R4 breakers just over the channel near Lille. As you are in Deal you could pop over and also bring back your wine and beer allowance to offset the parts cost. If you look on leboncoin, and tap in the area you are interested, say Pas de Calais, someone on the site will be selling wings, or engines or other bits and you can follow that up to get what you need. I have the same model car, 1972 1126 782cc motor, hammock seats 4L. Love to see your car. Any pictures? esp of the metal frame windows to front doors. I have used that route in the past.

Der Franzose and Melun Retro Passion stock new panels.

There is an R4 breakers just over the channel near Lille. As you are in Deal you could pop over and also bring back your wine and beer allowance to offset the parts cost. If you look on leboncoin, and tap in the area you are interested, say Pas de Calais, someone on the site will be selling wings, or engines or other bits and you can follow that up to get what you need. I have the same model car, 1972 1126 782cc motor, hammock seats 4L. Love to see your car. Any pictures? esp of the metal frame windows to front doors. I have used that route in the past.
Edwin. thanks for your post. a good thought about the wine. we used to do regular trips to Calais wine when you could bring back a decent quantity, along with many other things brexit has stopped that.

Edwin and Malcolm
Just thought I would let you know what progress I have made since May 2022. (not a lot). I don't know whether to turn the saga into a mini series for Netflix or try to do a short version to start with. Date of accident 24th April 2022. Long battle with insurance company, diabolical communication, car written off 21st September 2022 and bought it back from the insurance company. Couldn't get a date for the repair to start until 19th December. took car over and the guy said he would see me in the New year. We have been away so went to see him yesterday, 13th January 2023. He hasn't started the job, (sorry govner, got a bit behind!!) can't really get started until end of February. Brought car back and put it in the garage as it has been outside for a month in the pissing rain. I guess it's the way it goes these days but I was born in Birmingham where everybody used to eat, sleep and breathe cars and you could get things done. Anyway, I got the front wing, "a" panel and rear bumper from Der Franzose, excellent service and delivery - thank you Malcom and clementine for the recommendation.
The body shop is going to do a full re spray with all windows out. My car has the same metal windows as yours Edwin and looking at them they look really rusty and suspect they will not survive removal and replacement. I cannot find any source for replacements, any ideas??? I read the report of the Gordini restoration and saw they used GTL plastic windows, do you know if these plastic windows use the same glass as the metal ones.

Sorry, lots of questions and I need to get to grips with door and boot seals at some time.

IMG_2382.JPG

I have swapped the window surrounds on my '68 car from metal to plastic. All the glass is the same with the exception that the sliding elements in the two rear doors are the merest fraction shorter, so earlier windows will stick and not slide. I had to get two panes off a GTL. I think if you look in the catalogues the part number is still the same, they just changed them on the fly. You might find they are OK but be prepared. I didn't have the problem on the front windows.

I have swapped the window surrounds on my '68 car from metal to plastic. All the glass is the same with the exception that the sliding elements in the two rear doors are the merest fraction shorter, so earlier windows will stick and not slide. I had to get two panes off a GTL. I think if you look in the catalogues the part number is still the same, they just changed them on the fly. You might find they are OK but be prepared. I didn't have the problem on the front windows.
Hi Piet. Thanks very much for your information which is really valuable. As I have only just found this potential problem with the windows I have not yet found a GTL to look at the windows to see how it all works. I looked up your location to see how far you were from Kent where I live. Just a bit too far for me to pop over to have a look!!! Did you have much trouble getting the old windows out as in the UK I understand the screws which hold them in get very rusty? What holds the plastic windows in place, are they also screws? Thanks again for the info and I will keep you posted on progress. Regards Peter.

Hi Peter
There's a lot of good stuff about windows here:

The plastic frames are held in place by metal clips - changing these frames is very straightforward.

1673783597007.jpeg

Hi Peter

The plastic frames are held in place by metal clips - changing these frames is very straightforward.

View attachment 31342
Andy, thanks very much for aiming me to the
Hi Peter

View attachment 31342
Andy, thanks very much for aiming me at the "la 4l de Sylvie web site and all is becoming a lot clearer. the next chalange is to identify the profile of the rubber inserts and find a supplier. Thanks again for your help. Peter

Back