Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

'Labi' 1989 1300 GTL

I believe you!

It is my first experience that driveshaft fell off in hard corners. Are ball joints all in good shape?

About engine it self i think that you need to start from cleaning and refurbishing carburetor, checking distributor (point, vacuum - do not know what kind of dizzy you have) , checking timing (and adjust it if necessary) setting valve clearance and then see how will car drive.

I recommend that you do it by yourself as that is only way to be sure that job is done (and not been scammed).

There is a lot information and doityourself topics here on this forum you can read and learn how to do all repairs mentioned before.

If you need any manuals, books, tech data you can all find it here, and you can always ask for it.

Send me your email and i can give you list of books that i have in pdf.

Will be glad to share them with you.

But unfortunately i think you are stuck with yourself and learning how to fix R4 on you own.

I did the same journey.

The bag of nails sound means that the advance is to far forward. The engine is pinking. You do need to retard the advance a bit. Then you probably get the power you want.
do you have a timing light?

your rant is noted. We are here to help out if possible.

I hear you, I secretly wanted some issues with the car, for learning purposes... but this is taking the p**s :) too many to manage in this small brain of mine.

I've started reading the tips and tricks page, thanks for that; completely forgot it existed.

It is odd that the roll bar keeps popping out/splitting the bush.
I've had a genuine part fitted which is a lot softer, but even stationary I can see the pressure that's put on it. I'll have to remove the bar and see if it's straight/correct way around.

Thanks for the tips on the engine issue. I'm pretty sure it's just the timing, as the carb was replaced about 5 months ago for a new unit.

I'm going to start studying, but in the mean while I have I'm going to stop at a mechanic in Cali before leaving Colombia.
The reviews seem to good to believe; all from people doing the Pan America Highway.

Thanks for the support troops

Oli

• 20200208_143629.jpg
    20200208_143629.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 3
Hi Oli
Just a thought - is the plastic spacer between the rubber bush and the lower wishbone in place?
If it's missing, the rubber bush can move forwards and the end of the anti-roll bar can pop out.20200206_134924 (3)_LI.jpg

You're very lucky to have a 1300cc R4 - they're fantastic engines!
Hope you get the problems sorted out.

I spotted the part you mentioned on a thread somewhere. Problem is, over here everyone seems to install it without the collar. I've asked many mechanics and a classic renault parts store here in cololmbia, they tell me it's fine and can't supply me one!... I'm sure it would help of course.
Just seems odd how it's done this multiply times on the same side, and I'm not cornering that hard either. I will try and find source said collars though.

The engine was pretty awesome at one point, plenty of torque - kept it in 4th anywhere over 25mph, pulled like a train.
. Just needs an adjustment i guess.

Awesome, the part number should help me out. I'll find a renault dealer and see if they stock them.

I've been speaking to a friend who runs the medellin owners club, but he said it's the same on his? He's put me in contact with another chap from the r4 club in Cali. Fingers crossed!

Right, heaps of blue smoke upon start up today. Assuming this rattle may be a deeper issue than though. Valve guides or some... piston rings...

Found a good mechanic in Cali, this guys team is great and speaks english (good for me, no more sign language).

Narrowed the knocking problems at the front to a damaged bolt that had striped and was too short originally. Also fitting to front shocks as they had had it.

Fingers crossed this will help alot

• IMG-20200213-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20200213-WA0013.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-20200213-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20200213-WA0011.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-20200213-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20200213-WA0012.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-20200213-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20200213-WA0009.jpg