Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Late R4 steering column stalk switches

Eccles60

First Renault 4 after 40 years waiting
Hi folks, I have a 1986 GTL but my stalk switches are wobbly. To turn the wipers on even to slow speed, you have to move the stalk to fast speed and then back to slow. The headlights don't switch on reliably but need a wiggle of the relevant stalk. Both stalks don't feel particularly robust and I can just imagine my local, friendly MoT person may not be either aware of their foibles or sympathetic to their finer feelings and break them.

Does anyone have a good pair available out there please?

Also, is the fitting of a pair of relays on the headlights and a single relay to horn a worthwhile mod to reduce the current loading on these switches? I'm an electronic engineer so not phased (excuse the nerdy pun) by wiring and soldering etc.

Cheers and happy Quatrelle'ing!

Mark Bradbury

I was going to suggest dismantling the stalks and cleaning the contacts, but you've probably already thought about that?

I've not had any problems with switches in our GTL so haven't thought about relays.

Cheers :)

I was going to suggest dismantling the stalks and cleaning the contacts, but you've probably already thought about that?

I've not had any problems with switches in our GTL so haven't thought about relays.

Cheers :)
Thanks for your reply. I must admit that no, I hadn't considered taking the switches apart because being in more modern car mode, I'd assumed repair was not feasible.

I'll definitely consider this plan if I don't get any replacements.

Thanks Mark

I've never had the need to take apart the R4 stalks. I did successfully clean the indicator/light stalk of a Peugeot 309 once.

Hello Mark The mounting screws work loose without a little Threadlock on them . Very likely that. However I have a good pair of switches if not

Jonathan

Hello Mark The mounting screws work loose without a little Threadlock on them . Very likely that. However I have a good pair of switches if not

Jonathan
Many thanks Jonathan, I'll check my screws and consider your spares. Thanks, Mark.

Back