Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

lights switch on a 77

castorlex

Enthusiast
Hello again, my r477 has its headlamp switch loosen. Anyone who tells me how can I adjust it to dashboard?

• lswitch.JPG
    lswitch.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 782
it should be fastened by 2 screws.First remove the bottom-half plasticpart from under the steering-stem to get to the stalk.. -R.

First of all your R4 colour is great...

These screws Reidalpine describes are small cross-headed ones and are diagonally places behind the switch, you can locate them with a mirror relatively easily. If they are loose, all is OK, tighten them up.

A common cause, however, is that the switch itself breaks at one or both screw holes because it is made of brittle plastic (bakelite?). Instead of replacing the switch you can fabricate small strips from aluminum sheet screwed to an intact place of the switch with small self tapping screws. In the old days, when beer cans had a "removable" triangular opening, mechanics over here used to repair these switches with that part of the can! (and they enjoyed the beer as a bonus!).

The worst case scenario would be that the frame, part of the instrument panel, where the switch seats, has broken, so the only answer would be to replace the instrument panel... :-(

By the way, did you have any news about that locally made chassis?

must say I enjoyed angels way of repairing the switch more than mine..
was it a 2 or a 3 beer job??

I'll enjoy beer when decide to fix it, but I don't know if it becomes a six -pack job, he he. And in the other hand, locally made chassis was installed in my 77. But my mobile was stolen so I don't have any camera to take some pics of restoration outcome. By the way, I'm satisfied with the job done in my 77.

Back