Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

liner wear

serrano

Enthusiast
Hello

I've taken out the wet liners of my R4GTL and measured the wear which is 0.020mm. I was told that this is the maximum wear and that, since no oversize pistons are available, I have to replace the liners/pistons.

The top ridge was pronounced, but nothing too bad. It seems to me that 0.020mm isn't such a bid deal, but I'm in two minds about that so I thought I'd post a message to have a second opinion.

Cheers

0.02mm is less than 1 thousanth of an inch which doesn't seem excessive. My rule of thumb is to do something about it when you can catch your finger nail on the ridge at the top of the bore - around 3 thousanth of an inch. They'll normally start using oil by then.

On the other hand if the engine is apart then it's no more effort to fit new pistons and liners. I don't think they are expensive so why not?

Thanks for your opinion.

I can actually feel the top ridge with my nail on the thrust side, even though I measured 0.020mm. I found a place here in Portugal that sells "non-Renault" sets of liners/pistons/rings for 97 euros each, and I'm told I get 40% discount. So compared to a 23 euro set of rings, it's not that outrageously more expensive. I'll go for that.

Thanks again.

Back