Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Lobsters GTL - The story so far...

why does it remind me of the Italian job? it looks like its ready to rock and roll with them rims and take the gold, for real. Looks nice, hope my Rene is back at this stage when i can use him again for when its not a good idea to take the Fazer.

Did your mechanic comment on the summer setting for the air intake!?

In my defence I must say that it hasn't really been used since October (and it was warm then). Once mechanic cat moved it to winter setting it did run noticeably better though... :cool:

Hehe!

There must be some joke about that being the closest a 'cat' ever got to a R4 engine...

well we don't have to guess who slept in he knife box last night !!!

Least your cat helped you with the R4

18092011717.jpg

Polo just muttered something and chatted his teeth at me =/ don't think he likes the state of my engine bay

Hi Lobster,

Looking at the pics - very nice I must say, wish mine was that good - I noticed in the pic of the engine bay, off the gear change rod you have a circular black bit with what looks like a spring going down to the forward rocker cover securing nut. Is this correct?

I have the black circular bit on the gear change rod but wondered what it was for - needless to say I don't have anything off it let alone a spring and it was just hanging loose.

Chris

According to the manual if fitted in the wrong place that spring thing can make it fall out of gear !

This spring is there to excert a slight pressure to the lever against its plastic bushes so that it doesn't rattle.
Earlier R4s had the spring hooked on the battery fixing. Anyway, it does not do much of a difference whether it its there or not.

Little update.

Getting towards the end game on this, n/s/f wing has been replaced previously and whilst it was nice and shiny had a few holes on the top. Back in the distant memory that was 4L International I bought a new wing from Melun Retro passion.

That wing was dropped at the bodyshop last week so they could paint the edges and bits that would be inaccessible once fitted and this morning being a nice sunny day I decided to get the old one off and the new one on.

DSCN0829.jpg

Despite a few challenges with getting it to fit right, its now done so its back to the paintshop on Monday for painting and whatnot.

Once thats done, the back brakes need a look at (locks a rear wheel a bit too easy and a lot of handbrake travel) and a shiny new MOT.

Beyond that? Well in all honesty its a bit surplus to requirements and just isn't getting much use so there is a reasonable possibility it may star in a For Sale thread on here in the next week or three :(

Last edited:
Beautiful wheels! Do they touch anywhere when you turn all the steering wheel on the left side?

Ooops, reading past posts (mine too, as well) I read it rubs somewhere... I have the same wheels (with 145 tires fitted, and inner tube) and when i turn the steering wheel completely left it rubs on a silent block...
I didn't know the existence of two kind of them, I'd love to find the narrower ones...
These wheels look very fine, but the original ones work better...

Last edited:
Are you putting the plastic chrome centre caps onto the fergats?

No. Simply because I haven't got any for that set and in any case they are coming off and the original wheels going back on.

A quick Easter update.

I've been happily running about in this for the last week or three whilst the sun was out. Got the new wing on and painted which I am well chuffed with which left the next job to be the MOT.

For various reasons mainly to do with an absolute lack of time I didn't really get chance to give it a once over before sending it for test. I knew the back brakes wanted looking at but otherwise everything seemed ok. And fortunately it was. Just needed handbrake cables replacing and a bulb which is a pretty happy result!

Managed to have a good prod around underneath whilst it was in the air and pleasingly its super solid.

To celebrate, heres a poor quality camera phone pic of it up in the air!

Pendle-20120405-00157.jpg

So where do we go from here?

Well, the fergats are coming off and the original wheels going back on complete with a couple of new tyres. For weeks I've been agonising about what to do with it. I really do like it but its not getting much use and I don't really see that changing so sadly it'll be for sale shortly. I could stick it back in my unit and leave it there but I don't really like leaving cars unused for any length of time so a sale seems like a sensible option.

Then we can get cracking on a few F6 jobs!

David sense has got little to do with our old cars. You have the van but you use it as a workhorse for your business.
If you have got a good un think twice about letting it go the money will not go far but it will be difficult to replace it.
The car is also better than the van for the increasing number of little lobsters.

Hi Lobster

Hi Lobster,

Did you see my note in the Car's wanted section?
If possible I would like to come over and see your little red R4 Bestie ...

Thank you

Regards,
David.

You have the van but you use it as a workhorse for your business.
Actually, I don't use the van for business at all. Its purely a pleasure van :cool:

If you have got a good un think twice about letting it go the money will not go far but it will be difficult to replace it.
True. But part of my plan involves selling this and the Kangoo and turning them into something bigger. Quite fancy either another Merc Sprinter or possibly a six seat Trafic in LWB flavour. Also, if it for whatever reason it doesn't sell then plan B could involve laying it up in the back of our unit for a while.

The car is also better than the van for the increasing number of little lobsters.

:D :D :D

Back