Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Looking for a good van...

Gav

Enthusiast
Before I start I must say I like this site, and especially the buyers' guides etc.

I am looking for a good Renault 4 van probably late 70s or early 80s - LHD or RHD it doesn't matter. I don't mind a bit of work and maybe a respray but I am not looking for a restoration project. It will be my daily driver to work and will be traditionally signwritten and will look lovely, be used and admired. There is a nice looking one for sale near Stamford https://www.facebook.com/pg/RoadHouseMotorCo/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1582877455080686 but this is a very long way for me to go and maybe not be impressed. I would pay someone in that area to look at it for me and assess it...!

Anyone know of a nice one in the South West? I have up to £4000 to spend - depending on condition of course.

Any good ideas would be welcome.

Are you seeking a F4 or the slightly bigger F6?

I thought the one at Stamford was overpriced, considering it's condition, but maybe I am out of touch with present day prices.

Regards
Tom

Agreed on the F4 in Stamford, it does look expensive considering it needs a fair bit of bodywork doing.

In general whilst the F4 is perhaps more attractive, the F6 is slightly bigger and a touch more practical but its all really subjective. If you're wanting it to be a daily driver though I'd go for an 1108cc engined version either way.

Prices can be all over the place for them so its worth seeing what comes up over the space of a few months. Theres a couple of RHD vans sold over the last few months so keep an eye on eBay etc and see what takes your fancy!

Hi and thank you for your replies.

I am actually OK with either F4 or F6, either would be fine. I have been looking for a few months now, and a few have come up but all a long way away and mainly needing lots of work. The one I missed out on was Speedway Rob's beautifully presented service van down in Exmouth. I was the high bidder for this when he listed it on ebay, (just over £3000) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-...r1wPGP73hOusQBnuslkIk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc but the reserve wasn't met. I then offered him £3500, but it seems someone offered more. I agree the Stamford one seems a little steep, but I could make an offer, but when I see it in the flesh it could have more faults than are evident in the pictures of course.

Anyway, thank you for your thoughts and please let me know if anyone has any more suggestions.

Hi Gav,
Saw your post re your search for a R4 van. Just to let you know that I have posted mine on the Renualt OC FB page...amongst others. My plan is to put it on ebay in the next couple of weeks..thought I'd let genuine renault people have first go at it!
Its a 1985 R4F6 LHD, registered in the UK. MOT until December 2018. I've owned it for about 6-7 years and imported into the UK myself from France.
Its very reliable and structurally sound. Passes it MOT every year. Its had some bits and bobs done to it. Body wise its pretty much rust free... there are a few areas but not perforated. Its also showing a few bruises from its previous life. Was a 1 owner van before I got it. Judging by whats recently sold on ebay etc I'm wanting £1500 for it. I'm near Leeds... can arrange transport..or personally I'd drive it!!
PM me if you're interested and perhaps we can swap numbers and send pics.
Kind regards
John

Hi Gav,
Saw your post re your search for a R4 van. Just to let you know that I have posted mine on the Renualt OC FB page...amongst others. My plan is to put it on ebay in the next couple of weeks..thought I'd let genuine renault people have first go at it!
Its a 1985 R4F6 LHD, registered in the UK. MOT until December 2018. I've owned it for about 6-7 years and imported into the UK myself from France.
Its very reliable and structurally sound. Passes it MOT every year. Its had some bits and bobs done to it. Body wise its pretty much rust free... there are a few areas but not perforated. Its also showing a few bruises from its previous life. Was a 1 owner van before I got it. Judging by whats recently sold on ebay etc I'm wanting £1500 for it. I'm near Leeds... can arrange transport..or personally I'd drive it!!
PM me if you're interested and perhaps we can swap numbers and send pics.
Kind regards
John
Thank you John for that, I would certainly like to see photos. I am sorry I am a bit of a dinosaur, I have no idea how to send you a personal message on this forum. Maybe you can advise me?! Gavin

Hello Gav. To send a pm, go to top right of the screen and click on inbox. Then click on, start a conversation. You will then see participant, where you type in the person to get your message, followed by your message in the box below. Good luck, regards Brian .

Thank you Brian, I now have the email address, but for the future I know how to PM someone. Gav

Hi George, thank you for your message. You have in fact already emailed me lots of good pictures, but my problem is the distance. I know you stated the price includes delivery to any UK address, but this would mean buying unseen. I know I have seen lots of photos, but this is never the same as looking in person, and driving. On the face of it your van is tempting, but if it arrived and I wasn't happy what then? It is tricky isn't it? Gavin

Ok mate no probs I understand, if you did fancy a trip over though I could pick you up and drop you off to either Alicante or murcia airport free of charge and under no obligation to buy.
Regards
George

Before I start I must say I like this site, and especially the buyers' guides etc.

I am looking for a good Renault 4 van probably late 70s or early 80s - LHD or RHD it doesn't matter. I don't mind a bit of work and maybe a respray but I am not looking for a restoration project. It will be my daily driver to work and will be traditionally signwritten and will look lovely, be used and admired. There is a nice looking one for sale near Stamford https://www.facebook.com/pg/RoadHouseMotorCo/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1582877455080686 but this is a very long way for me to go and maybe not be impressed. I would pay someone in that area to look at it for me and assess it...!

Anyone know of a nice one in the South West? I have up to £4000 to spend - depending on condition of course.

Well Gav,

with the simple application of the laws of supply; demand and availability, you may be waiting some length of time before an example surfaces that meets your criteria ..... i.e:- condition; asking price and location (just a couple of miles down the road)

N.

I hear good things about Roadhouse, A friend has bough two classics from them, a Yank Tank and really old 2cv

The thing I like about Convoys is the simplicity, I don't think there is anything I couldn't fix if it went wrong.
AAAAAAnd the only problem apart from the usual general mtc things I have had is the battery in the immobiliser key went, try finding one of them in the wilds of Croatia.
Do the belts waterpump and brakes if needed and you will have a reliable old bus and get years of use if you keep on top of it.
Best of luck

Hi Gav have you seen my van I have for sale here’s the link to the topic on here:

http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/threads/solid-renault-4-f6-spain.8690/codes

And here’s the link to my add on car and classic

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C946160?dt=1

If you have any questions or would like any more info or pics or you’d like to make me an offer please do not hesitate to send me a message or an email!

Cheers

George

Neumaticostotal at hotmail.com

thanks for sharing!

Hi, I’ve got f6 gordini engined van ,it’s been advised on the forum for £7500 , look at add for more info. Or call me on 01692 580831

Hi I replied to your wanted add earlier offering the gordini van but forgot to mention the price is now £4500 , House move forcing sale, contact Brian 01692 580831

Back