Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Looking for an R4

rustyold4

Enthusiast
Hello. Looking for a R4 car. Ideally 1100cc. Whilst listing ideals... ideally RHD, but realistic about finding one which hasn't suffered from UK roads. I may be paranoid about bodywork and chassis, but would prefer not to get one which has succumbed to rust. Mechanicals less of a concern. I'm in Suffolk, but happy to travel (and indeed wait) for the right car. Thank you, Ben

Hi Rustyold4. Ronaldo is for sale. 42,000 miles, full records, Spanish, NO RUST AT ALL. First class condition throughout. 12 months MOT white GTL 1100 cc motor. UK period reg. See Ronaldo is for sale in cars for sale. Lots of Pics. Perfect interior, head rests, etc etc. Could do a little detail work here and there as you want.
Only reason for sale is that we have two other R4's, one that needs a little TLC and the other is a 72 car, needs a complete refurb.

Thank you Edwin (and for responding to my question at the weekend as to whether Ronaldo was still for sale). I'll send you a pm.

All the best, Ben

Hi Ben... to check on any UK registered car, there's a very useful official Government website which sets out the MoT history going back at least ten years: Check the MOT history of a vehicle - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

The red Renault 4GTL reg. C712TLB currently on ebay had covered 150,753 miles on 20th August 2020, but in 2018 had major defects (fail) recorded, including 'Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength'. There was also an advisory 'Offside Front Integral body structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced'. A further advisory in 2017 relating to 'Front offside floor corrosion'. Looking back over these past ten years, there appears to be persistent issues with headlamp alignment, brake imbalance and brake pipe corrosion, exhaust mountings and emissions. It has covered 20k miles over the past ten years, so there's no indication of what life and where it had been during the first 25 years.

Although the car looks superficially shiny in parts, but patchy, unusually for a GTL of this vintage it features black PVC seats rather than tartan cloth, chrome door handles and chrome hubcaps, which are not UK spec. The chrome bumpers appear new, the UK originals would have been grey painted. However, zooming in on the photos, the dash, steering wheel and underbonnet look rather shabby in comparison. It's being sold by a general car dealer who buys cars with or without MoT, so check out the other cars for sale.

You'll appreciate these are just my personal opinions based on close inspection of the photographs, MoT history and the very limited description on ebay. Caveat emptor.

Thank you for the responses. No longer looking, as have bought "Ronaldo" from Edwin and John, who have been great to deal with. Next step, fitting rear seat belts...

Back