Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Looking to buy but need info .

Roymck

Enthusiast
Looking to buy a R4 but it has to be over 40 years old . Seen a LHD from 1972 but it’s only 854cc so thinking that might be a bit slow.
Can the later engine be fitted , will it need a gearbox from donor car as well . Would the 72 car be a disc brake model .
Too much choice and too much to learn.

Yes, you can fit a bigger engine. Yes, you need a matching gearbox. No, they don't have disc brakes, but you might be able to adapt the brakes.
Yes, it is a shitload of work and adaptation. And your original 1972 car looses in value. So why bother in doing so?

Anything 1972, even LHD, will have an intrinsic collector’s value if in original spec., so as harbourseal says, to modify it significantly will simply destroy its collectability.

Keep posting your questions. The Forum will be able to answer anything you want to know about R4s, even the most obscure corners of knowledge.

To start the ball rolling, most 1972 cars will be 845cc (or less) and have a different gearbox (the spec changed in about 1973). 1108cc did not come in until later. And the 1108cc gearbox, although similar in appearance to a later 845cc, rotates in the opposite direction so to fit it to an 845cc could lead to embarrassing problems on the road. The brakes on earlier 845cc models are frankly inadequate even at their modest road speeds.

845cc cruises at about 50 m.p.h. As you say, too slow for comfort, certainly on motorways. But IMHO the 845 cc engine is more bombproof than the 1108.

Have elderly parents that live in the ULEZ so although I have a newer car that complies it would be nice to drive a R4 through London .

substantially modified cars will not be eligible for historic exemption
although substantial becomes a debatable area
the money saved by not paying 12 per day would be cheap compared to paying 3k + for a good 72 r4 and then paying 1k to mod to 1108 and halving cars value in the process

Changing the engine for a later one does not substantially modify the car . And I would happily pay over the odds for a good 72 R4 with a 1108 engine , or even more for a Gordini engined modified car .

should you find a car that you want to put an 1100 engine in I can quote you to fit but there are lot of modifications likely including possibly the bonnet moving the radiator driveshafts brakes handbrake to the rear so you can fit the disc brakes etc you'll be better off trying to find a GTL early one came out in 78 which is 1100 already but think most of those have rusted away and Disappeared by now

actually thinking about it I do know where there is and 1100 Renault 6 which was converted from 8:50 that would be old enough not sure how much it is message me for details on 07973 42 3795

Yes the Renault 6 would have all you need to underpin a R4 as an upgrade.
But Renault 6 examples are hard to find.
Would it be better to keep the 6 original.
Could it be regarded as a better car?

What would happen to the gutted donor?

was thinking of you being interested in the R6 which is a working car as an alternative to r4

Or put a R6 engine in a R4 GTL, both 1108 cc but the R4 GTL 688 D7/12 engine has 34 bhp as the R6 688 B/7 10 engine has 45 bhp.

Back