Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Loud body rattles

robg

Enthusiast
(R4 GTL)My resto is progressing well but I am faced with curing several disturbing noises when driving over bumps. I am advised that this may be due to slack in the door seals and locks. So I am thinking of replacing the door seals and hoping that someone has already done this and would be able to advise on sourcing seals/glue with tips on how to avoid making a complete mess of it.
Thanks

Very difficult not to make a mess.
I have a hatch that bangs when the car is joggled by road surface imperfections. I have cured it temporarily by adding door seals to the the body side of the hatch opening . However as you use the hatch the strips do get rubbed and come off. I have been told that the hatch is slightly bent at the bottom of the window which is why it does not shut as it should.

The noise you refer to is most likely the tailgate rattling over bumps, on GTL/ post 1978 cars (correct me if wrong aha), Renault introduced a new tailgate hinge design that is frankly rubbish. As the body gets older the hinges flex and the tailgate doesn't close tightly any more. We changed the hinges to the older protruding style when restoring my car, though this was more difficult than simply swapping the brackets over as new bits of the roof guttering needed to be welded in.

Ensuring the boot rubber is tightly sealing and adjusting up the latch to close tighter is likely all you can do unfortunately, there should be a black lip/seam running along the bottom of the boot when it is closed where the rubber is protruding.

Some squeaks and rattles are caused by relative movement between the tailgate latch and the corresponding fitting on the boot floor. Not a permanent solution but wrapping insulating tape around the rod in the fitting sorted it for me.

If the tailgate can be shut with little or no effort, it will certainly rattle and squeak on the road.
You have to adjust its lock pin on the boot floor so that it needs a considerable push to lock, or locks by itself when the tailgate is being left to fall from horizontal position.
A sloppy tailgate stay will also touch the body when folded and will produce a (loud!) rattling sound.

Back