Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Low or normal engine compression ?

RAMI54

Enthusiast
Hi,
i change my r4 1100 c'c engine rings before i dId that change the compression was 150 after the change the compression is 130 ,
is this normal ?
ןif it is not normal how can improve it ?

150 Psi is a good compression, why did you have to change them in the first place?

You will find that you will have to run the engine back in with new rings so drive it steadily and use revs lightly and eventually they should bed back in again.

150 psi is a good compression, why did you have to change them in the first place?

You will find that you will have to run the engine back in with new rings so drive it steadily and use revs lightly and eventually they should bed back in again.

i replace them in the first time because i looked for more engine power. Is it better to look for anew engine because this engine block look very tired I chage head gasket at least 5 times , here in israel it is very diffucult to found an engine like this .

Apart from piston rings, were other critical engine components in serviceable condition? (cylinder bores, valves/valve seats). Also, you mention about head gasket failures, had the cylinder head been skimmed or checked for trueness at each gasket replacement?

Bear in mind, that, to measure compression pressures accurately, engine must be hot and valve clearances CORRECTLY set. This is important, I have seen very low compression figures when valve clearances were a bit greater.

apart from piston rings, were other critical engine components in serviceable condition? (cylinder bores, valves/valve seats). Also, you mention about head gasket failures, had the cylinder head been skimmed or checked for trueness at each gasket replacement?

Bear in mind, that, to measure compression pressures accurately, engine must be hot and valve clearances correctly set. This is important, i have seen very low compression figures when valve clearances were a bit greater.

how many m"m do i have to adjust the valves ?

Inlet 0,15mm, exhaust 0,20mm, engine must be cold.

Back