Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Lucas RB340

Confusing with language.
What you refer to dynamo, is in Sweden a alternator.
What you refer to as alternator is in Sweden a generator.

I think there is same problems with some other languages. So pictures may be needed to sort out what each and every means.
Alternator is what I see on 80s Hondas. So if aí understood correctly (and looking more in depth at what I have), I have a dynamo.

So I didn't fully look but I don't think I have the regulator from the 845cc engine.

So if I understood correctly:
- I have a dynamo - that came with the engine and it's on the pictures;
- This dynamo won't work with the Lucas RB box as it needs it's matching dynamo;
- I still have to find a matching regulator(??)

Thank you once again for the help.

Ive found the regulator and I managed to get a decent photo of the dínamo (the car is stuck between another car ATM).

IMG_20230225_124200.jpg IMG_20230225_123753.jpg

This is the matching regulator for your dynamo. Provided it's OK, it should work.
Connections are simple:
BAT directly to battery positive. Sometimes it it used as a junction for +12V supply to lighting switch or fusebox, check if there are other wires going to the car main wiring loom and connect them ath this terminal.
There are three wires going to dynamo: thinner one should connect dynamo field terminal and EXC regulator terminal. There is one wire from dynamo output terminal (insulated thick terminal on dynamo) that goes to regulator DYN terminal, and another thick wire that is the earth. It connects dynamo frame to regulator frame - use the regulator mounting studs if there is no separate earthing point.
There is one more thin wire coming from the car main loom that is used for the charge warning light. Identify this and connect it to DYN regulator terminal.

With luck this will work, if not, you have to do some troubleshooting to find if the dynamo and regulator are working correctly.

Hi guys. So I decided to go another route.

The car had been installed with hazards, fog light etc in the 80s and it's a mess. Can't figure out what is what as I have wires everywhere and a random fuse box without any labels. And I'm avoiding having to cut wires etc. So I've installed the older generador/dynamo (found it stashed in another box) and decided to go with it and use the existing box.

Finally have lights on the dash, car etc. Now all I have to do is to wire the starter and any other missing wires.

I do have a question. The 852cc that originally came with the car had a Portuguese version of the FEMSA dynamo which only have 2 terminals. One thick and the other very thin. I do only have 2 wires that match those terminals coming from the box but want to avoid any issues. Is there any wiring diagram for this dynamo?

Thanks.

*Also need a larger fan belt to fit the older dynamo on this engine.

1679595806376503421804036463563.jpg 16795958306727040035786165478679.jpg 16795958463975851294285021079472.jpg

Thick wire is dynamo output wire and goes to A terminal on regulator. Other wire is field wire - goes to regulator F terminal.

Thick wire is dynamo output wire and goes to A terminal on regulator. Other wire is field wire - goes to regulator F terminal.
Thank you again for the help! It seems things are looking good.

Now I'm trying to figure out why the starter won't work with the key even thought it's getting signal. It does work directly with a starter kit or with a screwdriver. Other than that, for now, things are going well. Hope to share more updates here.

Well not sure if it's related to the box but I can't seem to find the issue of not having the left blinker working. Right side is working (and all lights externally are working) except the left blinker.

It seems like a lack of ground issue but I can't figure out where it should be grounding since testing the wires of the blinker on the combination switch with a screwdriver tester makes the relay buzzing (which I think it's associated with lack of ground?)

Last edited:
Lucas was a good Apostole but bad electrician:clapping:
Usually because car manufacturers fitted Lucas parts in silly places, top of a hot engine and in full spray through the grille - Jaguar XJ6 c1975.

Forgot to update but it was a problem on how the wiring was "redone". And then also the blinker itself on the back was not working correctly so had to redo that. Still haven't connected the generator but all seems working well. Thank you all

Back