Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Malcolm's New Renault 5TX

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
It's a barn find! The TX has been knocking around the barn for a while and I've finally bought it. It's a bit rusty around the edges and needs some engine work, but it is in remarkably original condition and hasn't been messed around with.

That's 3 Renaults now!

It's got the sporty but comfy interior. Only snag is it smells of dog inside. The only other early '80s Renault I had any involvement with also smelled of dog. Is it the trim materials or were they both owned by dog lovers?

I'm going to try for a light restoration and not get carried away.

• barn-find.jpg
    barn-find.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 754
  • three-renaults.jpg
    three-renaults.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 776
  • interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 796
Malcolm in the stock I bought for the r6 is a new Camshaft marked up Renault 5 TX it all came from a local renault dealer.Gary

I'm another lover of 5Tx's

I had one and it was a great little car, the other car I've always fancied is a Mk2 Five Monaco!

Looking forward to seeing it restored!

Keep us posted. It'll be interesting to see the similarities/differences with the 4.

Jonathan

Jet washed the underside in the rain yesterday and it looks lovely under there now. The thick paint/sealant still looks in good condition, but there's not always any metal left behind it.

Work is cancelled until next week so I'll go out and make a start hacking away at the rear suspension mounting.

Malcolm: "I'm going to try for a light restoration and not get carried away"

Gary: "Malcolm in the stock I bought for the r6 is a new Camshaft marked up Renault 5 TX"

I wonder where all this is going to lead. :)

Alpine?

I had one the same year a few years ago. Great car but they dont corner like a 4L.

TX. They certainly rust like a 4L :D

• bits-removed.jpg
    bits-removed.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 660
Hi Malcolm and congrats to this TX-looks to be very "doable". I'm curious to know some more about your R4Gorde..I guess its well and proper run-in by now so what
kind of figures can you report?? not the eco-ones the fun-ones.
-did you check out the orig-paint we talked about earlier? are we still on for Thenay? -R.

Great Find
They are great cars and still look so modern much nicer than the SUPERCINQ .
Best of luck with it ..........
sam 119

Hi Malcolm and congrats to this TX-looks to be very "doable". I'm curious to know some more about your R4Gorde..I guess its well and proper run-in by now so what
kind of figures can you report?? not the eco-ones the fun-ones.
-did you check out the orig-paint we talked about earlier? are we still on for Thenay? -R.

To be completely honest I'd forgotten all about it. A litre of cellulose if memory serves. What colour was it again?

The Gordini is going OK. Just about sorted the timing so it's good for everything apart from idle. No performance report yet apart from a feeling that there's a good cam on it and it needed a rev counter which was fitted last week. I prefer to potter around but like the power when it's needed. The slow running needs more work.

Progress on the R5 is happening slowly. There's a page about the thing now: http://www.renault4.co.uk/r5-restoration.htm

Hi Malcolm-good to hear all is going well with your Gorde.. actually I could do with 3litre of the cell-paint. colour B170 Beige -anything else than the 8 trimpieces & rear-quarter panels you need? Looking forward to meet up again in Thenay! -R.

Will aim to go to the paint shop before Thenay. Do you need thinners or can you get them over there? I don't desperately need the trim pieces any more - decided not to restore the '65, but I'll have them if nobody else needs them. Quarter panel trim definitely.

Getting carried away on the R5 now. Spent all weekend making a replacement bit of sill and I'm very pleased with it. But I'm definitely not going to fill in all the dents and do a full respray. No way that's going to happen.

Welcome to the new R5, 6 and whatever section - turns out a few people on here have them.

sill-repair-section-large.jpg

Hi again Malcolm-your R5 looks really good,not often to see them as honest as this one seems to be. looks like you're doing a nice job on it..
I can still get cell-thinners over here ,so just need 3 liter B170 Beige paint..
I had the paint checked the other day and that spectrograph said it is still 98% in accordance to the orig.recipy -Not bad at all!
-Hope you'll remember to bring the front-templates we talked about earlier aswell..

Not too long 'till Thenay now -Hope all gets there with no mishaps of any sort! -R.

I was thinking of the front wheel-arch liners.All I would need is some outlines/templates on somewhat thick paper.... -R.

A milestone in the R5 Restoration - I've finished all the welding on the left side of the car! All of the bits of orange primer cover rust repairs (apart from on the door where they are just decorative).

repaired-r5.jpg

I'm keen to avoid mission creep on this one. There are a bunch of big dents under and on the fold line. The paint is fairly good but it is metallic clear on base coat and matched in repairs will be obvious. Wants a full respray really.

Going to take some determination.

The welding on the RHS of the car is finished now - just the middle, bottom, top, front and back to do now. Covered in exhaustive detail for owners of the 100 remaining UK R5 MK1s on http://www.renault4.co.uk/r5-restoration.htm

rhs-welding-finished.jpg

I've bought some paint. Apparently the trick for spraying in metallics is to use a fine scotchbrite pad on the whole panel, spray new base coat on the repair, flicking in over the rest of the panel for a match, then clear coat the whole panel. Sounds like a plan. Might get it done before winter sets in.

Back