Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Marrying an 83 & 86

hal7600

Enthusiast
I'm the proud owner of an 83 TL Left hand drive 845cc, and have just completed removal of the (disintergrating) body to repair the chassis, which is mostly in good condition. Today's mad activity was to buy a very nice right hand drive GLT 1100cc with an excellent body but chassis made of cardboard.

Does anyone have any advice regarding marrying the 83 chassis to the 86 body? Anything obvious that should put me off?

Thanks

Hal

Marriage of the Rt and Lt hands.

Interesting because I am undertaking similar. Unfortunately for me, neither chassis is free of some serious corrosion. There should not be a problem for you as you will use the rt hand steering gear through the rt hand bulkhead. I am putting a Lt hand van body onto a Rt hand GTL chassis, so I will have to cut a hole out of the Lt hand bulkhead for the steering shaft. More interestingly, which vehicle will you register on the road? The original Lt hand with its chassis number, or the new GTL?

I can't think of any problems. Some of the parts in the engine bay might be different - you might need to use the battery tray and radiator mountings from whichever car the engine comes from. The body itself should be the same.

The body isn't stamped with a chassis number, so the chassis number will be the one from the chassis. The plates on the bulkhead can ve transferred between bodies.

dont forget the brake pipe routing along chassis is different side before you make new ones for lhd chassis assuming your end project will be rhd - easier with body off
are you going to use 1108 or 845 mechanics as engine mounting on chassis ( bolt on) are different
has your 845 got drum front brakes as 1108 will have discs and bigger (rear operated hand brake) drums

have fun :)

Marrying

Thanks for this. All added to my list. Can you expand on the engine mountings? Will I need to drill new holes (the 1100 going on the 845 chassis) or should the 845 chassis accept the mountings from the 1100?

if you are fitting 1108 engine to 845 chassis then simply un bolt and swap over there are also some small brackets on front of chassis for rad mountings( mentioned by malcolm)
these 2 things are commonly forgotten when upgrading to larger engines (ask REIDALPINE :) )
please note all advice given is based on my rapidly fading memory and not ifallible :rolleyes:

Marrying & weight

Just so I'm prepared. With all the running gear removed, can two people easily lift the chassis?

Thanks

Hal

if you are fitting 1108 engine to 845 chassis then simply un bolt and swap over there are also some small brackets on front of chassis for rad mountings( mentioned by malcolm)
these 2 things are commonly forgotten when upgrading to larger engines (ask REIDALPINE :) )
please note all advice given is based on my rapidly fading memory and not ifallible :rolleyes:

Thanx Much for rubbing my bad memory in Paul :roll: -R.

Back