Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

metal window frames

dg

Enthusiast
Hi All
Does anybody have any old style metal window frames going spare? I am not too bothered about the condition as I am going to try using the top part of one to repair the rusty bottom of another. Worth a try, I think I have exhausted all other options.

David

Where are you based? I have some but they are fitted to doors. The windows have seized, but have to be removed before the frames can come out. And I want to keep the glass. If someone else was to come along to figure it all out for me then they could have the frames.

I'm planning to fit the nice plastic GTL frames. Way less hassle.

Thanks clementine, that's a great offer and I'd love to come and see your set up and that chassis jig - but I live in Bath so it is quite a hike over to you. I will let you know if it looks like I am going to be in your area. I do have some plastic frames spare if they are of interest to you.

Might actually have a set of rust free ones you might be able to use. They are on a '68 car that's been in a garage and a scrapyard but rarely on the road. Windows are siezed up of course. But I'd do a swap for the plastic ones. Checked the other 4 sets of doors I seem to have accumatated and the frames are all rusty. No idea why you don't go plastic for yours - assuming you're a nutter - so it would be fun to meet if you're in the area.

Had a look at my plastic frames and one of them (osf iI think) has a bit missing on the outside but you are welcome to them. They're not going on MY car! You are of course right that deep down I am a total anorak - when I restored my Fiat 500 I had all the original bolts re plated because they have Fiat written on the heads and no replacement bolt would do.
I would be very interested in rust free frames. Is the '68 car the one from the guy in Bristol? I met him once in Sainsburys car park in Bath, came out to find some bloke peering under my car (also '68) he told me he had sold it to you.
I am in no great hurry so let me know how your restoration is going and I will try to co ordinate if you are interested. If you wait long enough I may get round to converting my 1980 tl into a plein air and then I would have another full set of frames.
Did you once mention that you don't like beige dashboards? I do. If you had a beige one spare I could swap for the black one in my tl. There's no accounting for taste!

The '68 I was thinking about is actually a '67 (silly me), but I also have the '68 from Tim in Bristol. Might be up for sale again soon - I've decided that I maybe should have a clear out. Doesn't have the beige dash. The '67 car has a beige dash, but I've decided I like it now.

You are welcome to poke around my window frames. I've decided not to use any of the metal ones - too much hassle for me.

Back