Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

mguez,,,

mguez

Enthusiast
help...in the last few days the steering on my F6 has gone weird- as in car is "wandering" considerably..especially at higher speed?? Also ,and I do not know if its connected ,but a clanking rattling sound is coming from low down in the driveshaft area this time more noticeable at low speeds. I had it up on a ramp and looked for anything visably loose and dangerous but nothing to see.
Mr,Reno I know is busy with some darke projecte of some sort, so any help from you guys would help my investigations

Matt, can I suggest that you stop driving it until you find the problem.

Carrying too much in the back!! Shock absorbers leaking or gone soft, steering rack joints / mountings, suspension ball joints, tyres need pumping up!! Flexible coupling on steering loose or worn out / broken, loose steering wheel, possible drive shaft on the way out but I would doubt if this would cause wandering, rubber bushes in the top wishbone, broken tie rod or bushing.

That's all I can think of for now.

Wandering would normally be due to wheel alignment or tyre pressures. (Have you checked the tyre pressures?) For wheel alignment it it was once good but is no longer so good I'd suspect a suspension balljoint. If you ever get the sensation that the passenger seat is squeaking as you go over bumps it'll be one of the lower balljoints. Otherwise an upper one or the steering track rod end. You might be able to feel the play in the joints if you place a jack under the lower suspension arm to get the suspension to the right height.

What is Mr Reno working on? - he seems quieter than normal on here as well. Must be a really dark project.

hi matt
spotted 2 missed calls on my phone and forgot to call you back sorry
best have a look at your van asap :eek:

Back