Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Moving the steering wheel closer

Eccles60

First Renault 4 after 40 years waiting
I must be a strange shape but to get my legs and feet in the right place the seat is a fair way back but naturally the steering wheel stays put. On my '86 GTL the wheel is only about a couple of inches from the dash, is there any way anyone can suggest to move it just as an inch or two closer to the driver. I assume that being on a splined shaft it's doubtful but think it's a question worth asking. I'd like to keep the original wheel but realise that going for a boss and dished wheel may be the only practical answer.

Thanks for being patient with a newbie, btw. Much obliged.

Mark

try locating a "sports steeringwheel" boss ,as these usually build a good inch or two towards you -R.

Just to let you know all Renault splines from 70s onwards are the same across renault range even if R4 not mentioned in description

Just to let you know all Renault splines from 70s onwards are the same across renault range even if R4 not mentioned in description
You don't know (actually, you probably do) how useful that information is. I've see quite a few bosses for '70s to mid '90s but wasn't sure if they had the same splines. It did occur to me that a manufacturer would have very few reasons to use different splines "just for the hell of it". I wonder if I could cheekily ask you to confirm if a boss would fit come the time I take the plunge? Cheers anyway Paul and thanks in anticipation, Mark

I might have something suitable in my collection depends what diameter you are aiming for and what style is acceptable the Renault 5 GT Turbo steering wheels now fetch ridiculous prices second-hand just to warn you and Renault 12 Gordini are another desirable one which are unavailable that sensible money

Actually just two also mentioned that the later cars with airbags fitted will also fit but they have a master spline but these will go over the earlier column but the earlier will will not fit onto the late airbag equipped cars I found this in my spare room just now if this is something you might like lol20190825_204204.jpg

This one is a bit more classic looking https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto/1665225366.htm/

a70fd6097249ae6182b68a029dc86238f8e4b6a3.jpg
a63688f06ae6664e9f5274a9b330648aca7e19f3.jpg

It looks like someone's already had it. Or I can't get the link to work.

I think it is already sold.
Never mind, thanks anyway. That's just the sort of thing though. Mountney do some reasonably priced ones, or hopefully a good, used one might crop up. Any ideas where (or from what) I might be able to get a classic looking Renault badge for the middle of the wheel?

Back