Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Moving to France

Bluebell

Enthusiast
I'm fairly sure that we've covered this before but I can't find the old posts about it.

We will shortly be taking Claude, the R4 van, and Blanche, the TL, to France permanently. Could somebody please run over the procedures again. With these being older cars do I need a certificate of compliance from Renault? Blanche was originally French and Claude was made in France and shipped to Camaroon. Do I need to get a certificate of No Claims from the present insurer? Do I need to get French insurance as soon as the cars arrive in France? Can I do nothing until the MoT's run out?

Thanks.

If you would like to pm me with your e mail address I will send you a copy of a document which is written by a chap called Kevin Raymond who is Anglo Info Normandy's resident expert on anything to do with registering vehicles in France. Some of the info (addresses etc) is Normandy specific but a search of Pages Jaunes should turn up the local addresses of DRIRE for example.
Basically you have got a month to sort it all - CT - Carte Grise etc - you should be able to get the certificate of conformity from DRIRE (about 68 euros a throw) , rather than from Renault (most manufacturers are more expensive), not sure whethere you can get this in advance of moving.
Depending on vehicle age they may qualify for classic insurance, our insurance broker advised against fully comp insurance as she said the insurance co would consider that a R4 was not worth very much.
Best of luck with it - its paperwork heavy but at least the local registration office do not want to inspect it!

Thanks paulandpat. I've sent you my address and would be grateful for any information. Did you take any of your cars from here to there? I had heard that generally the French do not bother with comprehensive insurance. It all sounds very scary! :eek:

And don't be dismayed if it takes more than a month - sometimes it just takes for ever to get all your ducks lined up in the order that passes muster with the local petit fonctionaire. But you will get there in then end....have patience and go in with a smile on your face!
regards
David

Back