Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

My 1986 4GTL is for sale

Steve Hennessey

I have decided to sell my GTL. I wanted to sell it 3 years ago but was persuaded not to by Malcolm :eek: but the time has now come to pass it on to a new owner.

I did 85,000 virtually trouble free miles then took it off the road 8 years ago as I did not want it to deteriorate. I had this mad idea that I would restore it to concours condition before I retired but realistically I know that I just don't have the time due to other constraints.

The mileage now is 158,000 and it's been stored in a dry garage but has gathered a layer of dust (see photos). It is likely to start up if I put a battery on it. Slight bit of noise from the timing chain at tickover, but that's it. Unlike many of the 4's I've seen on this website and on ebay, this is a very solid and straight example. A few minor dents in the bodywork, paintwork very faded but it has a respectable chassis. The rear legs have been welded properly and I replaced the driver's side floor pan. The interior is very good with no nasty rips or tears. I have carried out my own maintenance and apart from servicing every 6000miles, fitted a new clutch, another gearbox and a better carburettor from a R5 (commonly known as the Hennessey Hot-up kit)!!.
It will need servicing and checking over for the MOT but you won't find anything nasty. There is a leak from the heater radiator or control tap as a tiny amount of water can be seen inside the car.

I also have a R5 Mk1 with a very low mileage (approx 30,000) engine and gearbox that is suitable for the 4.

Included in the sale will be a load of very useful secondhand parts including body panels, engine parts, gearbox's, suspension and so on.

So, to sum up you will be getting my Renault 4, a Renault 5 for spares and loads of useful secondhand spares. This is to be sold in one lot and you will need a trailer to transport both vehicles.

I am asking a realistic £1400 for the lot. I would appreciate only serious enquiries.

Thanks

Steve

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second phase of my sale will be my collection of brand new GTL spares which includes genuine body and chassis parts. I will list these once my 4 has sold, not before.

• R4GTL 001.jpg
    R4GTL 001.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 603
  • R4GTL 003.jpg
    R4GTL 003.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 596
  • R4GTL 004.jpg
    R4GTL 004.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 593
Last edited:
Yes

can I come and see your car ?
I have been let down and am desparate to find my Renault 4 and a red one is what I realy would like.
please call me 01823 672447 Polly Fox-Strangways xxx

Sorry to see you're selling your 'retirement' project Steve, must be the R4 bargain of the century, wish i had the bucks and the storage,ah well.
All the best, and were did you get the chrome pattern bumpers from?

Rudi.

Hello all,

After some 'pressure' from a few forum members I have decided to begin the rebuild of my beloved GTL. Even if it takes me 10 years!! If I run out of steam and don't complete it then at least I'll have tried. So, the upshot is that it's off the market. There were two people interested so if everything goes pear shaped then I'll offer it to the first person who made me an offer of the full asking price. Failing that, I'll contact the second person.
I used to sell many secondhand cars when I was in the motor trade and I could always be very detached about them. However, that little red French 'beauty' is part of me.

Rudi, you asked about the chrome bumpers - they were old stock and I bought the last two!! You could always get yours chromed:wink:

Steve

Rudi - check out the repro chrome bumpers from Italy: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PARAURTI-ANTE...1QQihZ002QQcategoryZ33640QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Chrome quality isn't great (you can see the sanding marks underneath) but not bad for £100. I've bought a set, and Richard in Ireland has too.

Excellent news Steve. Would have been such a shame to lose you from the Renault 4 scene, and there's no-one who will look after your red car better than you.

..Great news Steve ..

..You deserve one of my unique Cd's - Send me a pm with your address and I will send you one..... Hardly know you, but I like you already!!

Ps Who is coming on the Kent R4 run in two weeks?

• signs 1.jpg
    signs 1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 540
  • 8c39_1 1 straight.jpg
    8c39_1 1 straight.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 531
  • da_1 1a.jpg
    da_1 1a.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 530
Back