Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

My R16 - The Horror Show Has Begun

Wow - the zombie apocalypse has proved really bad for rust. Did you forget to pin a face mask to the front grille?

Looks like a line of weld at the bottom of the sill too so someone else's damage to fix too.

You ALWAYS have to fix someone else's damage on a 53 year old survivor.
However, the worst damage was actually done in Sandouville in 1967. They used expanding foam in the sills and they are unsurprisingly most rotten where this space age technology was applied. They even bragged about it in the catalogue.

BTW this is the 'good' side. The worse one isn't apart yet.

Love it, the famous all Renault models fifties, sixties, seventies, eighties rust, can't wait to see the worst side and, as @AdamWilkes wrote, it'll only gets better ;)

You ALWAYS have to fix someone else's damage on a 53 year old survivor.

I've probably just been lucky with my 6 then. :laughing: Yeah the foam was a bad idea - they seemed to think they could be lazy and use it to seal holes when they should have been thinking about how the water that's going to get in could be ventilated out.

Wow, serious stuff! It's always nice to see something being repaired properly though. Keep the pictures coming.

Well, it needed doing, didn't it?
Otherwise it would have been the end of the car and they are so rare anyway.

It certainly did need doing by the look of your pictures, and every 16 saved is a cause for celebration. They are lovely, characterful cars and I travelled in a couple as a teenager in the '80s. They were very exotic to my impressionable mind next to my parents 12TS.

I was tempted to call it quits and get another one.
Then it occurred to me that another one might harbour the same horrors even if looking the part.
Also, I much prefer the Series 1 examples. Even among R16isti having a Series 1 is kind of special.
And they have become hard to find even in France.

Very impressed, such attention to detail with the precise creation of the circular perforations for the central sill diaphragm (castle?) section. My 16TX suffered the same issues when less than ten years old, which in the '80s was considered uneconomic to repair. This experience, combined with a terminally rusted F4 van led me away from Renault for the next three decades years until discovering Ronnie the R4 in France five years ago. Now I'm back and reliving the delights of the '60's and '70's! Keep up your excellent workmanship Baron von Zach, the R16 roof rack is waiting for you in York!

well done it is,possible to buy that inner section pre made but as you have got great fabrication skills your method works very well
have you checked out the R16 shop in Holland ?

It's not me who has the skills. The car is in a workshop.

Yes, you can buy the strengthening panels from the R16 shop, if you have 115 Euros per piece to spare.
Well, I do not, hence they were fabricated.

Back