Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Mystery part

Malachy

Enthusiast
1983 French GTL
This is a view from the near side rear suspension. It's a strong coil spring approx 20mm diameter attached to the chassis and to the trailing arm it's not in tension and never is as it's not adjusted to be so. In fact in it's present state it does nothing. I've checked out two manuals nothing.
Any ideas??Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 14.31.52.pngScreen Shot 2019-06-18 at 14.31.30.png

Hi, i guess its the brake pressure regulator spring. During braking the rear of the car becomes light, this system "detects" it and reduces the brake pressure going to the rear axle preventing the rear wheels from blocking and the car from spinning

Are you looking at the spring that operates the rear brake load proportioning valve?

Many thanks
Should it be under tension ?
Does it need adjusting to a specific tension ?

The official way of adjusting it involves measuring the rear brake line pressure. It will not normally need attention, unless the brake pressure regulator has been replaced or the rear suspension height has been altered. A rough way to do this is to gradually add tension until the rear brakes lock just after the front ones do. Obviously the rear brakes themselves should be in top condition.

Hi. Does anyone know which pipe goes to which port on the above pic of the regulator? Looking at the picture above we have a port at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock say. [yes folks, I clearly didn't take enough pictures when taking my car apart! ]. I have a 4 port regulator as above and a 4 port brake master cylinder. two brake lines came down along the right side of the car. [R1123 845cc TL 1983, all drum brakes]. Ive been looking through restoration threads here but it seems many cars have only 3 ports on the regulator. Hoping to get started on brakes next week finally. Many thanks

Back