Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Mystery Renault 4 Special

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
Robert (who neglects Rosalie the Renault these days) sent some photos from the Stonleigh Kit Car Show a couple of weeks ago.

There's exciting stuff - but I'll start off with a nice yellow DRK

drk.jpg

And some Free and Kindred Spirits

free-spirits.jpg

But the really exciting find was a special roughly in the style of a late 1930s or maybe early 1950s GP cars with strong Alfa influences. It's completely brilliant.

mystery-r4-front.jpg

Robert didn't look around too closely so can't say if the shell was fibreglass or aluminium (could be either) but it was very nicely made, and is the only one of it's kind as far as we can tell.

mystery-r4-rear.jpg

Not sure about the trailer though - that's not in the spirit of 1930s grand prix cars.

Does anyone know anything about the special? It's R5 not R4 isn't it.

A guess?

What a pretty car! (not the trailer!) You English people have such a range of special/kit cars that do not see the light of day here. It's a shame that we miss out. But It's a shame many of you miss out on 4 wheels - domage.
The red Italianesque model. It's a little hard to tell from 20,000km away. If it is based on a Renault, then I'd pick a 5 gordini engine - normally aspirated as the carbys are on the rhs and the exhaust is on the lhs.
Front (bottom) wishbones look R4/5/6 to me. Note the roll bar mount. The tops look like 5 with a solid re-inforcement on the top. Better appearance also?
The rear trailing arm I am unfamiliar with. In Aus R4/5/6 are all pressed steel. Could this be a cast one that you get, with such a pronounced bend before the stub axle.
Judging by the bloke in the background the car is not using a standard Renault chassis. It looks too narrow, so I guess the driveshafts have been shortened.
The top damper mount looks invisible.

David

The lower wishbones are R5 not R4, so I imagine thea it is based on a R5

Back