Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

New carburetor

Hi Alfonso

The nut circled in red is not the nut you need to take off and you do not need to take off the nut with the red arrow. The nut which has to be released is accessed from underneath the car. The rubber block (engine mounting) below your red circle has a threaded stud with a 13mm spanner size nut which faces downwards. I am uploading an image with the engine mounting threaded stud marked with a red arrow (this is the smaller R4 engine but will give you an idea of what you need to locate and unbolt from the underside of the car in order to slightly lift up the engine).

R4-engine.jpg

Hi Alfonso

The nut circled in red is not the nut you need to take off and you do not need to take off the nut with the red arrow. The nut which has to be released is accessed from underneath the car. The rubber block (engine mounting) below your red circle has a threaded stud with a 13mm spanner size nut which faces downwards. I am uploading an image with the engine mounting threaded stud marked with a red arrow (this is the smaller R4 engine but will give you an idea of what you need to locate and unbolt from the underside of the car in order to slightly lift up the engine).

View attachment 27656
That was very helpful. I found the nut and managed to lift the engine and take the manifold out. It turned out that apart from the visual leak it also had a broken gasket and several dark stains all around. I think the leaks might indeed have played a part in the weird performance the car was giving lately. What a great help this forum is! Thank you everyone :)

photo_2021-01-27_22-55-22.jpg

Hi Alfonso

I'm pleased you managed to remove the manifold. On a LHD it is not the easiest of jobs. I hope with the new gasket fitted and your endeavours in resolving the carburettor issues, the performance of your R4 will improve.

Back