Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

New exhaust.

roodini

Enthusiast
My exhaust's blowing from the back box and has already been patched in a couple of other places by the previous owner.
I can get a complete exhaust from Bosal, (via Leisure shack), for £67.39 but with the 1.4 engine fitted am I restricting the engine with an exhaust that's better suited for the old 1.1 ?
Are there any better alternatives out there that anyone's come accross?
What about the side exit van exhaust and where would I get one?
Any ideas as always, gratefully accepted.

Rudi.:)

Rudi, the original exhaust is fine for the 1.4. The price you've been quoted is far too high - do a web search as I've seen them cheaper. Try a local motor factor as well. Expect to pay around £30.
You could always nick one from a neighbours Cortina - I know you've got the skills to make almost anything fit!!!

Can I fit an exhaust from the R4 van? Or would it cut top end/decrease acceleration have an adverse effect on the universe etc?
It's just that I can get one quite cheap and I quite like the idea of the side exit exhaust.

Daisy has got the midle part of an old viva somthing or other!!
When i went to the scrap yard for a new bit i found an exhaust with along bit that was the same size as to fit onto the down pipe.
Then fun thing is she now has 2 pipes sticking out the back because the box on the exhaust has 2 out pipes,I cut themdown and as a finising touch i put stainless steel end bit on!!!
I then told people she was turb charged and i even found a little bage which i placed under the renault badge on the rear door.

Stick it on Rudi, you won't find it makes much difference, and what's a loss of 5mph going to make. It will still do 0-60 in 8 seconds :) as well!

You never struck me as being a boy racer, but looks can be deceiving!

I think the exhaust with the silencer in the inner wing (that's the side exit one?) would be more restrictive than the GTL style rear mounted silencer as the gas speeds would me much higher closer to the engine. For the same performance at twice the gas temperature (that's roughly what it would be) the silencer would have to be twice as big.

The GTL silencer is a little pokey, but my guess is it won't make a lot of difference compared to a proper one. It's the pipe diameters closer to the engine that will make the difference - maybe bits from the R5 system might fit for the front half? Probably more effort than sense to do.

Thanks for that Malcolm, GTL exhaust it is.
Anyone know where I can get one cheaper than £74.34 inc vat and delivery?

Steve, i've always been a bit of a 'boy' racer, like the cars to look the part, whereas with my bike I prefer the 'street sleeper' idea, look like a dog and go like stink! Hence a dog rough Kwack GT 750, (that i'm currently not allowed to ride, they're even talking about stopping me driving the car soon, Ha!), with 'certain' hidden go-faster bits.

http://www.cats-direct-shop.co.uk/car-exhaust-systems.php

Pick your bits from here Rudi. I still think the van exhaust will satisfy your needs especially as it's cheaper. Unless you fit it you'll never know. I must admit that I prefer the sound of the underwing silencer to the GTL type, but as a miserable old git, I'm heavily into nostalgia !!!!

I understand what you mean about 'hot' cars not 'looking the part'. I used to have a DS21 Citroen and this local rich w******r who bought a new Lancia Beta Coupe thought that my car was a bit 'fuddy duddy'. We had a standing start on a disused airfield runway and I wiped the floor with him - and my car was column change!! That was real satisfaction. And to top it all, we all went camping in Cornwall the following week and guess whose car seats folded down to make a double bed? I was in sheer luxury and Mr Lancia was trying to prove his manhood in a damp plastic tent. He bought a Citroen GSA soon after!! Now that car has one complicated exhaust system. Good luck whichever system you decide to buy.

There was at least one version of 1108cc R5 with under-wing silencer and side exhaust, so it should fit easily on the R4.As far as I remember, the manifold-to-silencer pipe was the same, but the "Z" piece from silencer to rear tube was not, instead it was an "L" type, the rear outlet of the silencer exited downwards.

Back