Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

New R4 gtl Door seals advice please

the joiner

Enthusiast
Hi All
Its been a long time since I posted anything on this site but I need some advice please. I am starting to put my Renault 4 restoration back together and today I have fitted the doors, however, the rubber seals are beyond use and I need to buy new ones. I have looked at the Der Franzose website and the have two versions available, one is a hollow rubber at around 90 euros a set of 4 or a rubber set at over 100 euros. I understand that some new rubbers cause an issue with closing the doors and wondered if any of you have experience of this or can point me in the right direction. Many thanks for your help

Original fitment door seals were solid sponge rubber, but none of today's reproductions can match the original material; result is that doors will be very hard or impossible to shut properly.
Franzose list two types of hollow rubber seal both of which are of different shape to the original. There are some people in this forum who have fitted this type of seal and were satisfied.

Original fitment door seals were solid sponge rubber, but none of today's reproductions can match the original material; result is that doors will be very hard or impossible to shut properly.
Franzose list two types of hollow rubber seal both of which are of different shape to the original. There are some people in this forum who have fitted this type of seal and were satisfied.
i have fitted all 5 doors around with new hollow seals from Franzöze year 2010. Still in good condition, doors need to be pushed close position quite hard, front door a-pillar curve close to top hinge has been the hardest to get glued properly.

Thank you for your reply

i have fitted all 5 doors around with new hollow seals from Franzöze year 2010. Still in good condition, doors need to be pushed close position quite hard, front door a-pillar curve close to top hinge has been the hardest to get glued properly.
Hi
Did you fit the hollow foam or hollow rubber seals? Many thanks for your reply

I fitted the solid rubber seals and now the doors are almost impossible to close, go for the hollow set.

Check out my posts I replaced mine a couple of years ago from ones from de franzose

Hello! I'm about to order some too, and I wondered about these....they are hollow.
Does the bonnet have any rubber seals?
Thank you!

Screenshot 2022-02-28 at 09.33.31.png

Hi happybutsimple, those look interesting. can you tell me where you are getting them from please?

Cheers Simon.

You can get the rubber that goes between the body and the bonnet here (they do door seals too):
Thankyou Andy
I’ve read about the modern solid rubbers being too thick to allow the doors to shut properly/easily. I’ll try and compare them to the hollow ones on Franzose.
My car is on her way to being outback together and I’m trying to gather all the last bits & pieces that we need before doing an order.
Potentially it will include some of whatever goes between the windows, a windscreen rubber and maybe whatever trim goes around the roof ( I need to study photos!)

Katie

Hi Katie, thanks for the reply, I haven't been on their website for a while so maybe this is a new product. I also would be interested to see how they compare with the originals. Interestingly the price seems to have gone up since your screenshot.

Cheers Simon.

I wonder if these would be suitable?
They are certainly cheaper & faster to get hold of

Also, this for the roof gutter...? I'd be interested to know what those of you with a greater knowledge think...

chrome strip for the gutter needs to be U shaped to cover the edge of the gutter and grip onto it. Not expensive from Fransoze.

just a tidbit of info re the strips for the gutter... I mounted such (the type with glue inside them) They look good-But:
(mine was original item from Renault) They make the body-profile itself rust-as strip will heat up a bit by the sun so
collects moisture inside ... This just as a heads-up.
-Reid

just a tidbit of info re the strips for the gutter... I mounted such (the type with glue inside them) They look good-But:
(mine was original item from Renault) They make the body-profile itself rust-as strip will heat up a bit by the sun so
collects moisture inside ... This just as a heads-up.
-Reid
oh dear, that is NOT what is needed! thank you for the heads up

Thankyou Andy
I’ve read about the modern solid rubbers being too thick to allow the doors to shut properly/easily. I’ll try and compare them to the hollow ones on Franzose.
My car is on her way to being outback together and I’m trying to gather all the last bits & pieces that we need before doing an order.
Potentially it will include some of whatever goes between the windows, a windscreen rubber and maybe whatever trim goes around the roof ( I need to study photos!)

Katie
Hello Andy
The profile of the old bonnet rubber is like this, do you think the lack of flange bit would be a problem?
Thanks
I’ve found something similar on woolies-trim.co.uk

C8C1C00D-9F8F-49C6-AC12-80448E89522B.jpeg

Back