Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

New r4 owner

Davemassey1983

Enthusiast
Evening ladies and gents
New owner here, just taken delivery of a 1986 LHD 845cc power house. we bought Claude (named by the previous owner so it’s staying) for the princely sum of £100.
I haven’t had the chance to have a proper look around yet as it was getting dark when he arrived. Plans are a full restoration with the help of my kids, gets them away from technology!
I’ve had a quick look around the website and it looks like a wealth of knowledge which I’m sure I’ll need as I have never laid eyes on one until today!

He definitely needs some love, and by the looks of it a whole new floor, but it doesn’t seem like a total basket case. Famous last words!

So yep....that’s about it!

Cheers

Dave

• 9A859153-E1F0-4487-9DC3-616AF6B90380.jpeg
    9A859153-E1F0-4487-9DC3-616AF6B90380.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 5
  • DA9A2B58-EE0A-402F-AE67-F70E3240D40B.jpeg
    DA9A2B58-EE0A-402F-AE67-F70E3240D40B.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 6E2C795C-E79A-4D44-8004-441FE00313B5.jpeg
    6E2C795C-E79A-4D44-8004-441FE00313B5.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 4
Thanks! Yep I’m pretty sure a new wing is in order....the floor however will need some work....

• 88FDA241-78B3-4790-AEF2-603E0E58B3B1.jpeg
    88FDA241-78B3-4790-AEF2-603E0E58B3B1.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 4
Wow, that looks like daylight down there... good luck with the resto, great to see another one coming into the fold!
Best wishes, Simon.

Hi Dave, a very warm welcome! Would love to see more photos! :laughing::D

Dig that floral seat cover! Bargain at £100 warm welcome to the forum.
I see she has taken cannon fire on the port bow

Thanks for the warm welcome!
I’m in Pembrokeshire, west wales.
I’ll take some more photos after I have had a proper look around him tomorrow, I have literally spent 10 minutes looking around it as we bought him based purely on some photos on an advert! From what I’ve seen he looks 90% complete, yes he needs a new floor and probably more but it’s like automotive archeology, hoping that the kids will learn something along the way!

Welcome to the forum Dave and with a mere £100 you're a true bargain hunter.
There's lots of knowledge and articles here to find, from small repairs to full restorations.
All the best with Claude, he needs definately some true restoring on the R4's very well known rust hotspots and that's only mild said, believe me I've been there and still I am, as well as many forum members.
Best regards, Joop

Last edited:
Evening ladies and gents
New owner here, just taken delivery of a 1986 LHD 845cc power house. we bought Claude (named by the previous owner so it’s staying) for the princely sum of £100.
I haven’t had the chance to have a proper look around yet as it was getting dark when he arrived. Plans are a full restoration with the help of my kids, gets them away from technology!
I’ve had a quick look around the website and it looks like a wealth of knowledge which I’m sure I’ll need as I have never laid eyes on one until today!

He definitely needs some love, and by the looks of it a whole new floor, but it doesn’t seem like a total basket case. Famous last words!

So yep....that’s about it!

Cheers

Dave

Welcome to our family,
I'm somewhat surprised that no-one has raised the subject earlier. You need to arrange to raise the rear of the car, find a solid structural point on each side to place reliable stands, then examine the chassis with a good inspection lamp. Any rot here normally means body off. Just remember Noah's words to his family when the flood waters began to rise ..... IT'S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD.
Good Luck,
Neil,
Carmarthenshire

Thanks! I still haven’t had the chance to have a look yet. I was debating taking the body off even if the frame is “ok” just so I can get it 100% underneath, living so close to the sea isn’t very car friendly! It’ll be a slow process as life tends to get in the way, doing all the work on the driveway doesn’t help either!
Nice to see another owner in west wales Neil!

Back