Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

New Roadworthy Rules

In Italy honestly the problem is the opposite.
I'd like to have a more severe MOT test, today it's not unlikely to pass a test with broken lights or completely worn tyres.
It's obviously convenient pass the MOT with a not perfect car for someone who is working on it and going to fix it day by day.
The problem is when you find a daily driver with major failures in the hands of someone incapable of driving...

[QUOTE="Leonardo.IT, post: 61694, member: 2914"]The problem is when you find a daily driver with major failures in the hands of someone incapable of driving...[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with you Leonardo!!

There are 3 Failure Catagories, Minor, Major and Critical

With a Minor Failure, your repair has to be made before your next visit. (2 years)
Major Failure, your repair has to be made within 2 months
Critical Failure, you are not allowed to drive your car until the repair has been done. You can drive it home or to a garage for the repair, but no more.

I was failed for a number of reasons:
My indicator flashes too slowly.
Stop lights-left side is red, right side is red/orange because its faded
Driver seat is defective, doesn't slide on its rails smoothly-this is a Critical Failure!!
Light cover above rear license plate is cracked and light doesn't work
Floor on passenger side is perforated. (4-5 holes about 2mm diameter)
Brake lines are weathered -small cracks in the outer cover)

But my Critical Failure is that front brakes are unequal and one side is weaker than the other. So as from today I'm not allowed to drive my car:ashamed::ashamed::ashamed:

Someone should tell them that the reason for the high death rate is because people drive like assholes:doh:

Hi I took my R4 to the Control Techniques last week and passed. The only probs were slight wear on the handbrake cable casings, and slight inequality of rear brakes. As my car is drums all round, that was not too dramatic. I know that everyone is concerned because the test has become more stringent, but it is a lot like ours, and after reading your post, I went over the car and made sure of everything. So I particularly thank you for the note on drivers seat movement. Mine did not move because the catch cross wires had disconnected and so it did not release the other runner. Sounds simple, but getting the seat out to repair it when one runner is jammed, and you wear glasses and are trying to see something close, in the dark under the seat, using one hand to hold the torch, another to hold a screw driver, a third to depress the catch and a fourth hand to move the chair, anglo saxon provides some relief. Anyway, thanks for the tip about the seat, and good luck. Edwin

thanks Edwin, sounds like you had quite a battle, but its all sounds quite familiar and brings back some best forgotten memories :laughing::laughing::laughing:

With regard to French driving, i have to agree, they are completely mad drivers. .

All drive too close , as though they try and hitch their front bumper on your back bumper, so that when you look in your rear mirror, you can't see them because you are looking straight through their front and rear screen..
On the motorway they hover on your rear left bind spot till you are driven into the back of the truck you are approaching.
If they are held up in a line of traffic on a country road, eventually someone at the rear thinks sod this and overtakes the lot, including overtaking round blind bends and blind hill tops. It makes you sick recalling it. Also they love overtaking slow drivers in fog. They have no appreciation of what might, and often does, go wrong. Still, driving a slow R4 gives you that little bit of extra avoiding manoeuvre time.

Mellissa speaks of (snipping) <<I'm getting mine on historic soon as she's jumped through this hoop! >>(snipped) but I've always regretted doing this on our Acadiane as it meant loosing the department specific registration plate with a pleasing array of sixes for one of the bland modern plates. Mind you of late french regs seem to have become a bit of a moving feast...

Back