Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

New to us R4 need to find bits

BABYBLUE

Enthusiast
Hi, we bought our latest R4 last year off E Bay and as it was still taxed and had some M.O.T left I decided to run it until one or the other ran out, which happened in December, since then the little thing has been sitting on my drive.

We got a new wing delivered a couple of weeks ago direct from France, and my O.H has begun the painstaking job of 'ironing out' the small number of dents the car has picked up over the years. [thankfully he had once been a good bodywork person....] Anyhow we need to find bits so that it can be put back on the road, and hopefully join in on some meetings..

Vacume? advance..... off distributor.. did I spell that correctly????

Also when we went to pick up the car it was really difficult to steer and I only just missed hitting a wall, can anyone shed some light as to what this might be down to.

This is my 7th R4, my first being bought for £10 in about 1973.
I had one after the other as they were so easy to find in those days, never having to pay more than £50 for what was my minter!.
My last 4 was bought for £25 in I think 1987 from a doctors wife who had owned it from new, we packed it with all the camping gear and toddled off to France, where we spent three weeks pootling around.

I have horses and this little car became a mobile tack room cum hay removals truck, one bit of useless info is that you can get three bales of hay in the back,[seat removed] and if the tail gate is lifted four more on the roof, all tied on with bailing string front to back.

I see no reason why I should drive around in my Diahatsu 4x4 when the little car does everything 'apart from tow my trailer'!, it carries water, feed and hay down a country unmade track to my field, where it slides down the hill then races out again up the steepest of hills.

I am looking forward to getting the little car on the road again because it made so many people happy and I absolutely love it...

Back