Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

New User and Just Bought a 4!

Weave

Enthusiast
Hi all, just secretly bought a 1975 4 TL for Anna, my girlfriend. She has wanted one for ages.

Its a solid car, but is not in original colour. Its now beige, but it should be Bronze.

It has the soft top, but the original roof obviously deterioated at some point and has been replaced with fixed vinyl effort.

I would like to have the car restored in its original colour - does anyone know the original colour for the bronze on the 4?

Also, where can i get an original soft top from?

LOL - it also has an odd wheel on it (i think from a 5), which needs to be replaced with the original 4 item.

Anyway, i will get some pics up soon i hope, but i will need a little help and advice if i am to get the car tip top.

:D

Cheers,
Rich

Do post some photos.

The bronze might be one of the beige metallics. For a number of badly photographed paint colours see the paint code page. You might still have a number stencilled onto the front of the RHS inner wing which would be a better guide (might need washing to see it). Local car paint shop should have colour swatches for comparison.

Do you still have the roof frame? I did spot a company selling ready made replacement roofs, but they were expensive and I think we decided it would be cheaper to have one made up at a car trimmer.

Yes there is a tank museum on the Island and they do get the out and about in the summer months to shows etc.

They sound good!

Oval Plate

Doesn't the oval plate riveted on the bulkhead give a code for the original colour?

Given the original colour, RS paints can match it, or any other colour.

Regards, Andy.

No the oval plate does not contain the colour code.
I guess there were not too many bronze shades used for the R4. So if you don't find the colour code in the place where Malcolm described, you can still find a paint shop with older colour samples. If there is a place on the car where you can find the original bronze, you can put the colour swatches on it and see what shade matches.

About the sunroof frame, I am planning to do some Autocad drawings of the original frames of my Jogging, as soon as I have the car back to measure them.

Back